CoinPeople.com

Recent additions

Mat25

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I would share a couple of recent aquisitions.

1853Halfpenny.jpg

A nice little Victorian halfpenny, 1853

1763threepence.jpg

1744halfpenny.jpg

I managed to get these 2 for the bargain price of £10 for the pair, not bad as they both seem to be VF or better. Firstly a George III 1763 threepence which has been a necklace in the past. Secondly a George II 1744 Halfpenny.

• 3 weeks later...

2 Charles I shillings, the first with a few cracks probably from when the coin was struck. The second with quite a nice portrait but it has unfortunately been cleaned.

1642shilling999.jpg

1633shilling999.jpg

Here are my latest bargains for your perusal, they set me back just over a tenner, not bad at all.

1891penny.jpg

A Victorian 1891 one penny

1729halfpenny.jpg

A George II 1729 copper halfpenny, a slightly rarer type without a stop after Britannia on the reverse.

1729halfpenny.jpg

A George II 1729 copper halfpenny, a slightly rarer type without a stop after Britannia on the reverse.

I like this one! :ninja:

Very nice additions. I don't have a groat in my collection. Perhaps it's time for one to appear.

The groats are great coins, I think I like them nearly as much as you like sixpences Art! Well the hammered ones anyway. Also the fact that the groat goes back all the way to Edward I means there are a lot out there and they are very collectable. Ive seen a few go on ebay for very reasonable prices. :ninja:

Two Elizabethan milled sixpences, one with plain dress and one with elaborate dress, both from 1562 and with the mintmark - star. Lovely coins and much nicer in the hand than in the photos.

1562sixpence.jpg

elizmilled6d.jpg

Another recent addition following the recent Elizabethan theme.

elizpenny.jpg

An Elizabeth I second issue penny, mintmark cross crosslet dating it to between 1560 and 1561.

• 1 month later...

Two new additions to show you:

Firstly:

earlysaxon.jpg

An early Anglo-Saxon sceatta, I havnt bought a coin of this type before so if anyone can give me some info on it I would be grateful, is it genuine, what spink number is it etc?

Secondly:

eliz3pence.jpg

A nice Elizabeth I threepence with a lovely portrait.

• 3 months later...

A couple of new Anglo Saxon pennies to show you:

Cnutshortcross.jpg

A Cnut short cross penny, VCEDE ONN EOFER, which is potentially a rare moneyer but im not certain, does anyone know?

AethelredCruxpenny.jpg

An Aethelred II Crux type penny, Can anyone decipher the mint and moneyer?

More to come soon

Thanks Art, yes the portraits on both are very good, the reverse of the Cnut is fantastic too, very bold.

Here are a couple more:

HenryVIIIgroat-2.jpg

A Henry VIII groat, mm Arrow

ElizabethImilledshilling.jpg

And an Elizabeth I milled shilling, mm star, small flan type.

AethelredCruxpenny.jpg

An Aethelred II Crux type penny, Can anyone decipher the mint and moneyer?

As per email: Boga on Southwark. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

3 more coins to show you all, a random selection....

1805irishhalfpenny.jpg

Firstly an 1805 George III Irish halfpenny, its not something that I would normally go for but for a couple of quid I couldn't say no.

henry8thhalfgroatcantor.jpg

Secondly a Henry VIII halfgroat, one of the later coinage hence the poor quality metal but a decent portrait for this type of coin I think. Looks like Canterbury mint.

richardIpennyb.jpg

Lastly a Richard I (Lionheart) penny, again a nice little portrait but im not sure of the mint so if anyone can decipher it please let me know!

Great coins, Mat! Good to see this thread updated.

Your shortcross penny is definitely Roberd on something, the mint signature is a little confusing but it looks like it may be Canterbury even though it appears to read CWN rather than CAN. Any chance of a better photo?

Hello!

Thanks for the comments, ive got a fair few more that I need to photograph and put up. Also when I do that il take a couple more of the shortcross penny to see if you can decipher it, I can't remember a time when you havn't managed to figure it out.

Anyway as I say there will be more to come shortly including a couple of nice ones. :bhyper:

• 2 weeks later...

Also when I do that il take a couple more of the shortcross penny to see if you can decipher it, I can't remember a time when you havn't managed to figure it out.

I enjoy a challenge. :grin:

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

After a couple of days off work I have finally got round to photographing a large proportion of my recent purchases.

So although the lighting for the photos wasn't great here are some of the photos.

I have been collecting a few pieces of small denomination silver recently so il start with them. These coins are tiny, especially the pennies and it amazes me how much detail is packed into the coins.

Firstly 3 small silver pennies of George III, it's interesting to see how the penny design changed during George's reign.

1820penny.jpg

George III 1820 Penny

1800penny.jpg

George III 1800 Penny

1766penny.jpg

George III 1766 Penny

And a couple of other low denomination George III silver coins.

1776fourpence.jpg

George III 1776 Fourpence

1762threepence.jpg

George III 1762 Threepence

And now some small denomination silver of other monarchs.

1746twopence.jpg

George II 1746 Twopence

1716penny.jpg

George I 1716 Penny

1710twopence.jpg

Anne 1710 Twopence

1683twopence.jpg

Charles II 1683 Twopence