CoinPeople.com

Recent additions

Mat25

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, in the early 1800's there was a lack of silver coinage in circulation in England. So the bank of England issued bank tokens, there was a dollor (5 shillings) which was made by striking over Spanish 8 reales coins which were purchased from the Spanish government for this purpose, there were also countermarked spanish 8 reales coin which were stamped with the head of George III. Then there were the 3 shillings tokens like this one and also 18 pence and 9 pence tokens. I think these tokens were only in circulation for around 10 years before being withdrawn. Still an interesting part of British numismatic history though, and im sure someone more knowledgable could add to this explanation! :ninja:

Yeah me too, at first I didnt really go after and Victorian coins as they seemed a bit too modern for me but the designs and relatively low prices have won me round!

Yeah me too, at first I didnt really go after and Victorian coins as they seemed a bit too modern for me but the designs and relatively low prices have won me round!

I've noticed that a few times myself. The prices do seem to be lower than I'd expect given the condition and population for some of these coins.

Just out of interest, does anyone know how much a 3 shilling bank token such as the 1811 one pictured above should weigh? I know silver prices at the time were high and as a result these coin types weighed less but I don't know exactly how much less. Anyone know? :ninja:

It has been a while since I posted any of my new coins so ive got quite a few to share! I hope you like them. ;)

georgeIVPenny.jpg

This is a George IV Penny - there are two types listed in Spink for 1826, thin and thick saltire, I have no idea what the saltire is so if anyone could help me out with that id be grateful! slightly weakly struck on the reverse.

william3sixpence.jpg

A lovely William III sixpence (Error variety with I instead of L in Gulielmus) - I got it as part of a lot for next to nothing, I was a bit suspicious that I got it so cheap but I took it to the spink shop in York and the guy in there confirmed it to be genuine and in a/UNC - UNC condition!

commonwealthpenny.jpg

A commonwealth penny - sadly holed but has some nice details

commonwealthhalfgroat.jpg

This is a commonwealth halfgroat or twopence

james1halfgroat.jpg

A James I halfgroat (mm thistle 1603 - 4), a bit ragged round the edges but some nice detail, I like the legend rosa sine spina - rose without thorns

edward6shilling.jpg

An Edward VI Shilling (mm Y 1551)

edwardVIsixpence.jpg

Edward VI sixpence (mm tun 1551 - 3) unfortunately holed 4 times!!! allegedly used as a button in the past, but what a portrait, a beautiful coin even with the holes.

henry7groat.jpg

A Henry VII groat (mm pansy 1495 - 8) A lovely old coin of the first Tudor monarch and father of Henry VIII. I cant make my mind up about the grade though, somewhere between good fine and VF id say, any opinions would be welcomed.

edward4groat.jpg

This is an Edward IV light coinage groat (mm rose 1464 - 5) A really lovely coin from around the time of the war of the roses, the obverse is struck slightly off centre but the detail is fantastic for such an old groat. Again I can't decide about the grade so any opinions would be great!

johnpenny.jpg

Finally a short cross penny from the reign of king John, class 5c Arnavd on Canterbury (1199 - 1216) - thanks to ye olde collector for identifying it for me! An amazing piece of history that is about 800 years old!!!

Let me know what you think of the new additions :ninja:

Those groats are absolutely beautiful, would you consider selling them?

elizabethIgroat.jpg

An Elizabeth I second issue groat, mint mark martlet which dates it to between 1560 and 1561.

I'm bidding on one of these at the moment, there nice coins!

They are nice little coins, good luck on acquiring the one you are bidding on, is it on ebay? I like this one, it has been slightly double struck around the face and as a result the Queen has 2 eyes and a double chin!

They are nice little coins, good luck on acquiring the one you are bidding on, is it on ebay? I like this one, it has been slightly double struck around the face and as a result the Queen has 2 eyes and a double chin!

It is exactly the same coin! the one I'm bidding on looks slightly less clipped but yours seems to have nicer detail.

I haven't actually bid on it yet but I play to towards the end of the auction.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of my newest additions......

17972d.jpg

Another 1797 twopence to add to my collection, I already have one but the price was too good to resist.

charlesIIhalfgroat.jpg

83over82.jpg

Charles II Halfgroat 1683/2 - it looks like the obverse was possibly struck using a corroded die, can anyone confirm this?

JamesIpenny.jpg

James I penny - Spink lists 2 types featuring the bust of James I (first and second bust) can anyone tell me which bust this is?

ElizabethIhalfgroat.jpg

Elizabeth I seventh issue halfgroat, mm 1 - a very nice little portrait.

I hope you like them, there are a few more to come later on tonight.

and here are the others......

Marygroat.jpg

A groat of Mary Tudor

henryVIgroat-1.jpg

Henry VI Calais groat, pinecone-mascle issue dating it between 1431 and 1433

henryIIIshortcross.jpg

Henry III shortcross penny, class 7b, Adam on London

AethelredIIpenny.jpg

And my favorite of the bunch, an Aethelred II longcross penny, 997 - 1003, Godwine on London.

Thankyou Art, yes the Mary Tudor groat is a nice coin, just a bit of a shame about the wear to the portrait, but then again it would have cost me a lot more dosh if it wasn't for the wear.

• 2 weeks later...

edwardIIfarthing.jpg

Edward II farthing, a nice little portrait, it also seems to be struck off centre and have excess metal.

charlesIIpenny.jpg

A tiny Charles II silver penny.

charlesIIfarthing-1.jpg

A Charles II farthing, some very nice detail, excellent for the price.

edwardpenny.jpg

An Edward I/II penny, I struggle with identifying the class of these coins, does anyone know what it is?