CoinPeople.com

Recent additions

Mat25

It has been a while since I posted any of my new coins so ive got quite a few to share! I hope you like them. ;)

georgeIVPenny.jpg

This is a George IV Penny - there are two types listed in Spink for 1826, thin and thick saltire, I have no idea what the saltire is so if anyone could help me out with that id be grateful! slightly weakly struck on the reverse.

william3sixpence.jpg

A lovely William III sixpence (Error variety with I instead of L in Gulielmus) - I got it as part of a lot for next to nothing, I was a bit suspicious that I got it so cheap but I took it to the spink shop in York and the guy in there confirmed it to be genuine and in a/UNC - UNC condition!

commonwealthpenny.jpg

A commonwealth penny - sadly holed but has some nice details

commonwealthhalfgroat.jpg

This is a commonwealth halfgroat or twopence

james1halfgroat.jpg

A James I halfgroat (mm thistle 1603 - 4), a bit ragged round the edges but some nice detail, I like the legend rosa sine spina - rose without thorns

edward6shilling.jpg

An Edward VI Shilling (mm Y 1551)

edwardVIsixpence.jpg

Edward VI sixpence (mm tun 1551 - 3) unfortunately holed 4 times!!! allegedly used as a button in the past, but what a portrait, a beautiful coin even with the holes.

henry7groat.jpg

A Henry VII groat (mm pansy 1495 - 8) A lovely old coin of the first Tudor monarch and father of Henry VIII. I cant make my mind up about the grade though, somewhere between good fine and VF id say, any opinions would be welcomed.

edward4groat.jpg

This is an Edward IV light coinage groat (mm rose 1464 - 5) A really lovely coin from around the time of the war of the roses, the obverse is struck slightly off centre but the detail is fantastic for such an old groat. Again I can't decide about the grade so any opinions would be great!

johnpenny.jpg

Finally a short cross penny from the reign of king John, class 5c Arnavd on Canterbury (1199 - 1216) - thanks to ye olde collector for identifying it for me! An amazing piece of history that is about 800 years old!!!

Let me know what you think of the new additions :ninja:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

RichardIpenny.jpg

A Richard I (1189 - 1199) penny ( Richard the lion heart or Coeur de lion), the moneyer is Goldwine on Canterbury, class 4a, spink 1348A. A lovely little early shortcross penny!

And here are 3 Edward I pennies. As far as I can tell the first is Spink 1398, however there is an S in the obverse legend at 9 o'clock which doesn't appear in the example in spink 2010, so if anyone has any information about that id love to hear it!

The second and third I am unsure of, I have been told maybe Spink 1414 (10cf5), if anyone knows for sure then please tell me.

3 lovely early pennies anyway which have been added to my collection! :ninja:

EdwardIpenny3.jpg

EdwardIpenny2.jpg

EdwardIpenny1.jpg

And a Henry III penny without sceptre, its a bit worn but still has some nice details, and is also very old.

HenryIIIpenny-1.jpg

I hope you like them!

RichardIpenny.jpg

A Richard I (1189 - 1199) penny ( Richard the lion heart or Coeur de lion), the moneyer is Goldwine on Canterbury, class 4a, spink 1348A. A lovely little early shortcross penny!

Great coins in this & your following post, may I ask if you were feeling a little sad & 'blue' when you took the pics? :ninja:

Haha, I was feeling quite happy when I took the pics, however the weather outside was a bit blue to say the least, looks like it was reflected in the photos, or more likely my white balance was off!

Thanks for the comments though, il post a few more pics.

3 Edward III groat, a pre, post and treaty period type.

EdwardIIIpretreatygroat.jpg

Firstly a pre treaty period series D groat with a broken cross 1 mintmark.

edwardIIIannuletgroat.jpg

Secondly a treaty period type with an annulet before Edward.

EdwardIIIposttreatygroat.jpg

And lastly a post treaty period groat.

:ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, the coins are my pride and joy!

There are some fantastic looking coins up here and it makes me want to try to get some eariler coins as my British set starts at about 1800. I'm trying to put together a type set from 1800 to 1970. :ninja:

How is the type set going? There are certainly plenty of wonderful coins to collect in that period!

It is also relatively easy to pick up some nice coins from pre 1800 without breaking the bank, I tend to not set out to buy a particular coin but to buy what I think is a bargain, it has worked very well so far.

Thanks for the comments, the coins are my pride and joy!

How is the type set going? There are certainly plenty of wonderful coins to collect in that period!

It is also relatively easy to pick up some nice coins from pre 1800 without breaking the bank, I tend to not set out to buy a particular coin but to buy what I think is a bargain, it has worked very well so far.

I'm up to 74.3% complete sort of and the reason for the sort of is I have yet to get my 1800's book to see if there are type coins I missed and that I have to add to the spread sheet. I be slowing down some because this is getting fairly expensive quick and it is also really time consuming so the rest will be aquired at a slower pace. I have been really comparing coins of each type and trying to buy the best I feel I can afford and of course some are really hard to find. That's sort of the fun of it though and what keeps me going. The funny thing is about 1/2 of what I bought is still in route to me so as my girlfriend says everyday is Christmas to me when the mailman arrives. HaHa

:ninja:

I've only had one coin not show up and it's an 1999 American Eagle NGC MS69 and the last one to bring that set up to date. I filed a dispute with Ebay because the guy wouldn't respond to my emails so I guess I'll see how the buyers protection works.

;)

You should start a thread maybe and put up some pictures of your type set if and when you have time, i would very much like to see them!

haha yeah I love it when the mailman comes, especially when like you, I have more than one coin expected to arrive, then its even more fun wondering which one it could be. I should be getting a couple this week I hope.

I would imagine your slower paced method will work better as it will allow you to take stock of what you have and will allow you to get more for your money. Which coins are you going to be getting in the post?

As for your ebay coin that hasn't shown up, if you payed with paypal then you have nothing to worry about as they always refund you if you pay for something which does not then get delivered.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few coins that aren't really recent additions but I havn't posted them before. So in no particular order:

1746LIMAhalfcrown999.jpg

1746 George II LIMA Half Crown - one of my all time favorite coin designs.

1799halfpennyB.jpg

1799 George III Half Penny

1799.jpg

9gunports.jpg

Another 1799 George III Half Penny - this is the type with 9 gunports, it also has a large die crack on the reverse.

JamesIhalfgroat-1.jpg

1613 James I Half Groat

quarteranna1835.jpg

1835 William IV Quarter Anna

1806penny.jpg

1806 George III Penny

1504halfgroat999.jpg

1502 - 1509 Henry VII Half Groat - Minted in York Hence the Keys on the Reverse

1632halfcrown999.jpg

1632 - 1633 Charles I Half Crown

1703sixpence.jpg

1703 Anne VIGO Sixpence

1739sixpence.jpg

1739 George II Sixpence With Roses in Angles

1787sixpence.jpg

1787 George III Sixpence

1747over7shilling.jpg

1747/7 George II Shilling With Roses in Angles

1797twopence.jpg

1797 George III Cartwheel Twopence - Oddly it has a high grade obverse and a not so high reverse

1834halfcrown.jpg

1834 William IV Half Crown

1804dollar.jpg

1804 George III Bank of England Dollar

1806halfpenny.jpg

1806 George III Half Penny with some very odd colouring

GeorgeIIIfarthing.jpg

1773 George III Farthing