CoinPeople.com

North Korean Currency - Interesting news...

Rhino

The government of North Korea announced today, December 3rd, that it is introducing new banknotes and revaluating its currency. So basically 2 zeroes are going to be slashed off the current banknotes... So a 1000 Won note is only 10 new Won. Now, the north also said that people can exchange their notes at banks only up to the 100,000 Won note, and that any larger denominations must be deposited with officials and that the government must then investigate and verify where the person got such a large sum of money :ninja:

So, think North Korean banknotes (old and new) will be a temporary (or not) hot item?

To be honest, I don't really know. North Korean notes are popular but not something too many people focus on it seems. Perhaps if the designs change drastically, then I'd say yes, there'd be a run on them for a while at least, but if they just change the denominations, then I'd say likely not so much. it may be like the Venezuelan currency's last change - not too many collectors rushed out to get it, and it's not what I'd call 'Hot'.

Have you seen any of the new notes designs yet?

To be honest, I don't really know. North Korean notes are popular but not something too many people focus on it seems. Perhaps if the designs change drastically, then I'd say yes, there'd be a run on them for a while at least, but if they just change the denominations, then I'd say likely not so much. it may be like the Venezuelan currency's last change - not too many collectors rushed out to get it, and it's not what I'd call 'Hot'.

Have you seen any of the new notes designs yet?

Apparently the new notes will be released in North Korea on December 7th. No previews or images of them, though... we'll see.

Well, I will likely wind up with them someday, but it won't be a rush for me, unless I happen upon a really good deal or something. It's amazing how much they look the same, even with some differences in design, the feel is unmistakenly North Korean communism; Variety is fine, as long as it still looks the same I guess.

20091204163238_bodyfile.jpg

Well, I will likely wind up with them someday, but it won't be a rush for me, unless I happen upon a really good deal or something. It's amazing how much they look the same, even with some differences in design, the feel is unmistakenly North Korean communism; Variety is fine, as long as it still looks the same I guess.

i definitely want a set. they do have that very special communist era look which i find quite interesting ...

Archived