CoinPeople.com

The Rising of the Hellenes 1826.

IMG_2829.jpgIMG_2831.jpg

Obv: LES BEAUX ARTS A LA GRECE LYON A SES ENFANS MALHEUREUX. SEPTEMB .MDCCCXXVI Ex: DANTZELL.F.

(THE FINE ARTS (a la?) GREECE. LYON TO HER POOR CHILDREN)

Lyons in mural crown supports Hellene's Genius(winged & with a flame from his head) who is pouring grain from a cornucopea onto an altar, whilst holding an oak wreath in his left hand.

Rev: EXPOSITION PUBLIQUE DE TABLEAUX ET D'OBJETS D'ARTS, DANS LA SALLE DE LA BIBLIOTHEQUE, EN FAVEUR LES GRECS ET OUVRIERS SANS TRAVAIL.

(PUBLIC EXHIBITION OF PAINTINGS AND WORKS OF ART IN THE ROOM OF THE LIBRARY, TO ASSIST THE GREEKS AND THE UNEMPLOYED)

By Joseph Dantzell WM 51mm

Forrer calls this medal the "Rising of the Hellenes", Gustave Vapereau states it was his first medal.

This fund-raising exhibition (which must have been one of the first of its kind), was held in September 1826, coinciding with the Siege of Athens, to raise money for assistance to ease the suffering of the Greeks.

Joseph Dantzell

French engraver, born in Lyon, December 17, 1805, son of an stone engraver, he studied sculpture at École des Beaux-Arts, Lyon. He first intended to engrave intaglios, but in 1826, during the public exhibition in favor of the Greeks, he successfully tried a first attempt at engraving medals and therefore switched to this genre. Not bad for a first attempt.

Shame about the state of the medal, the flame atop genius' head is okay but not so his genitalia! That must have hurt!

Indeed it seems painful. White metal composition --is it tin, or a tin alloy, or...? I have always wondered what exactly was used.

Great question Frank, compare the composition of these, can be hard to tell apart. WM is normally whiter though. I suspect my new avatar is pewter(not as I posted lead, though Spinks listed the other strikes as lead) LINK

White Metal

Alloy

A name given to a range of alloys usually containing antimony alloyed with tin, copper or lead to produce a white silvery metal used in the manufacture of medallions.

Pewter

Alloy

Originally an alloy of tin with about 15% lead, and sometimes antimony and copper. Modern pewters are usually lead-free.

From TONY CLAYTON'S GREAT SITE

Archived