CoinPeople.com

latest buy, worn 1728 2 kopeck

ScottO

975765.jpg

need thoughts, dyes arn't aligned so the bottom of the coin is as shown for both sides, need oppinions on the reverse and placemnt of date numerals, also trying to work out if thats a small 8 between the th 5 and 8 of just deseption as its not fully visible to the eye (there is something there to the eye but just a blob more or less) and the placemnt of 1 and 7 seems far away from the centre then other dates

975765.jpg

need thoughts, dyes arn't aligned so the bottom of the coin is as shown for both sides, need oppinions on the reverse and placemnt of date numerals, also trying to work out if thats a small 8 between the th 5 and 8 of just deseption as its not fully visible to the eye (there is something there to the eye but just a blob more or less) and the placemnt of 1 and 7 seems far away from the centre then other dates

I'm not sure from the photo what it is that you see. I think it might be traces of the "eagle in clouds" ("Baroque") design kopeck undertype, during one of the frequent copper revaluations in the 18th century which resulted in overstriking of the copper coins.

I'm not sure from the photo what it is that you see. I think it might be traces of the "eagle in clouds" ("Baroque") design kopeck undertype, during one of the frequent copper revaluations in the 18th century which resulted in overstriking of the copper coins.

You are right -- there is a wing "growing" out of the horse's face.

As to alignment -- it is very rare that you will see this type perfectly aligned and proportioned. I am still looking for one. The name of the game was -- the cheaper the better, which meant speed of production. Dies had to be produced rather quickly to replace failing dies.

yea i wondered what that was on the obverse, never really took much notice of that cos of the worn design.

there is a small 8 between the the 5 and 8 on the date, look near the bottom of the 8 you can see it there.

glad to hear its possible, i have a perfectly aligned 1792 5 kopeck so really i had to make sure on that.

guess the overstrike adds to the history of the piece then :ninja:

Archived