CoinPeople.com

Your most complete series?

thedeadpoint

Most(ly) complete set of Mercury Dimes, lacking only the 1916-D.

Uncirculated $1 Federal Reserve Notes one from each bank, A through L, Boston to San Francisco for 12.

That's about it. Mostly, I am very impressed with everyone else's hard work over the years. The Edward thing was stellar! Also, the Roosters are a nice run. All in all I have to confess to being not much of a collector. But it's nice of you all to let me hang out.

Mr. Marotta, we allow you to hang out if you mention coinpeople.com in your articles :ninja:

Great idea about the FRN bank series. It seems so attainable. I'll have to remember to look at my bills closer. Unfortunately, I get mostly E's since the bank is only a couple stone throws from my work.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a complete set of Wasington quarter business strikes, same with the Roosevelt dimes, SBA dollars, Ike Dollars, Kennedy halves. Have all the Jeffersons, including the proofs, all the business strike buffalo nickels, all the Silver eagles (except the 95-W) and all the Mexican silver onzas from 1979 to date. There are probably others, but that's all I can think of right now.

Oh yeah, Franklin halves too!

I at one time had completed every normal business strike of every modern denomination except wheaties (09-S vdb), and the 32-D and S Washingtons. Last year however I decided to go back to proof and type sets and I offed all of them. I am still working on an UNC Morgan year set however. I just lost my zephyr for year by year mint by mint. I would rather diversify. :ninja:

I at one time had completed every normal business strike of every modern denomination except wheaties (09-S vdb), and the 32-D and S Washingtons. Last year however I decided to go back to proof and type sets and I offed all of them. I am still working on an UNC Morgan year set however. I just lost my zephyr for year by year mint by mint. I would rather diversify. ;)

You lost my cat? (Zephyr) :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have my list handy but I have about 10 pennies to go to complete my collection. I have been collecting circulated copper Lincoln pennies - not wheaties (up to 1982) of every mint mark. The pennies I am missing are mostly from the San Francisco mint. I get the nicest ones I can find. When I come up with a nicer one than the one in my collection, I bag the old one and replace it with the better one. This means I have about 10 times more pennies than the ones in the collection. My shoebox is really filling up. Some are in surprisingly good shape for their age.

I am also three dimes away from completing my silver circulated Roosevelt dime collection. With this one, I am (so far) just going for dates - not mintmarks. Admittedly, we're not talking about a huge number of coins here but there you are. My other collections are so incomplete as to not bear mentioning.

You should try to complete the Jefferson Nickel series. It's one of the easiest to complete out of circulation excluding the silver WWII years and 1950-D I believe. My first two sets completed were the Jefferson Nickel and Roosevelt Dimes and all of the clad dimes were out of circulation until I upgraded with Uncs from a coin shop.

Thanks! Maybe I'll give the nickels a try.

They say there's no such thing as a stupid question. In my case, I beg to differ. Here's my offering: What are business strikes? Does that just mean uncirculated.

Chalk it up to my newbie-ness.

Business strikes are just regular coins issued for the business of commerce.

I don't consider mint sets to be comprised of business strikes anymore because those sets are now made with a different finish than regularly issued coins. Proof sets are just that, proof or presentation coins made with specially polished dies.

I am mainly a US and European type collector, but I do have a complete set of uncirculated 20F French roosters, 1900-1914, still looking for the 1899.

I remember when these could be had for $75 each... :ninja:

I finally found an 1899 and bought it for myself for Christmas. It cost WAY more than $75..... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well there are complete sets as defined by the holes in a Dansco Album and there are sets that we as individuals define as our own personal set. I'm currently trying to complete my Lincoln set of proofs back to 1950 and I only need two. Of course there still the 1936 to 1942 Lincoln Proofs if I want to go that far but those are really pricey. :ninja:

When it comes to complete sets I have quite a few as defined by Dansco album holes and NGC as defined by registry sets.

Registry Sets

Ike Dollars business strikes, proofs, and type coins

Franklin Half set of 35 business strikes

SBA Dollar set all business strikes, proofs, and type coins

American Eagle set of all MS69 graded by NGC 1986 to present

Mercury Dime Short Set 1941 to 1945

Jefferson Silver War Nickel Set

In Dansco Albums

Jefferson Nickel

Roosevelt Dime

Washington Quarter

Franklin Half (two sets)

Kennedy Half

IKE Dollars

SBA Dollars

Walking Liberty Half 1941 to 1947 short set

Mercury dime 1941 to 1945 short set

Jefferson War nickel set

20th Century type set

Close but no cigar

My Lincoln cent set lacks three coins the 1909-S VDB, 1914-D, and 1922 no D and other then those three business strikes and 8 proofs before 1954 it's complete through 2009. The nickel, dime, quarter, and half sets get up dated every year when I break up my mint set and silver and clad proof sets to fill my albums.

Well there are complete sets as defined by the holes in a Dansco Album and there are sets that we as individuals define as our own personal set. I'm currently trying to complete my Lincoln set of proofs back to 1950 and I only need two. Of course there still the 1936 to 1942 Lincoln Proofs if I want to go that far but those are really pricey. ;)

When it comes to complete sets I have quite a few as defined by Dansco album holes and NGC as defined by registry sets.

Registry Sets

Ike Dollars business strikes, proofs, and type coins

Franklin Half set of 35 business strikes

SBA Dollar set all business strikes, proofs, and type coins

American Eagle set of all MS69 graded by NGC 1986 to present

Mercury Dime Short Set 1941 to 1945

Jefferson Silver War Nickel Set

In Dansco Albums

Jefferson Nickel

Roosevelt Dime

Washington Quarter

Franklin Half (two sets)

Kennedy Half

IKE Dollars

SBA Dollars

Walking Liberty Half 1941 to 1947 short set

Mercury dime 1941 to 1945 short set

Jefferson War nickel set

20th Century type set

Close but no cigar

My Lincoln cent set lacks three coins the 1909-S VDB, 1914-D, and 1922 no D and other then those three business strikes and 8 proofs before 1954 it's complete through 2009. The nickel, dime, quarter, and half sets get up dated every year when I break up my mint set and silver and clad proof sets to fill my albums.

:ninja:

I've completed 2 sets-Eisenhower Dollars and Susan B Anthony Dollars. I also have a date run of dollars from 1878 to 1999 that's almost complete, I'm only missing coins from 1881, 1882, and 1926. I'll finish that one soon. I've recently decided to chase a dream of mine and assemble a complete set of Standing Liberty Quarters aside from the overdate. As of now, I only have 3 coins, but they're nice ones. I have a 1917 T1 in AU, a 1917-S ty1 in what I'd call Fine-15 and a 1918 in VF. I'm also working on a set of Third Reich silver 2 and 5 Reichsmarks in high grade. Once again, I only have three of them right now, but that'll change soon enough :ninja:

I suppose it would have to be the 20th century type set -- only thing missing is the 'educational' SLQ, and gold issues (but there's no slots for those in the book -- but then, neither is there a slot for the 2000 Sackie, which is still 20th century).

I'm doing the state quarters out of pocket change just to see if I can; that was complete but for a couple of the late 2008 Denver issues until they extended it six more coins, and I still haven't even seen one of the 2009 district/territorial quarters yet. Clad quarters are complete from 1965-2007 just from pocket change -- there's some surprisingly nice early clads in there, too.

(bites his tongue to avoid going off on a rant about how much he misses the deeper relief issues of the 60s and 70s instead of the flat arcade tokens the mint's spitting out today)

Come to think of it, I haven't seen any of the 2009 issues yet, not even nickels and dimes.

I finally found an 1899 and bought it for myself for Christmas. It cost WAY more than $75..... ;)

The good news...

2757965_002o.jpg

That completes the set. :ninja:

My small sized decimal 10p set is coming along nicely, i've got a near full date run (except 1993 and 1998), i've got all the varieties (that are known about so far). Luckily the vast majority are in UNC, but there's a few varieties where it looks like VF might have to do.

I was very, very lucky to pull this one from circulation!

972703.jpg

The 'at/at' variety (L in Elizabeth points to an edge bead, 1 on reverse points to an edge bead), 6 or 7 million of this type were minted but every single one went into circulation and the type wasn't discovered until the early 00's. They're tricky to find in circ. but F-VF specimens turn up about twice a year, to pull an EF well this is the highest graded one i've ever seen. There may be higher grade ones around that got put in a penny jar back in 1992 and have been sat there since, but no luck in finding any of those yet! :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
I have two nearly complete sets. Canadian pennies and Canada 5 cents.

The pennies set is missing just a few, mostly varieties: 1859 Double Punch #1, 1953 Shoulder Fold/Strap, 1954 No Shoulder Fold/Strap (quite rare), 1955 NSF (even more rare), 1965 Varietyes 2 and 4, and a 1999P (issued for testing, quite a few circulated). There's also some different reverse varieties in the Victorian pennies, but I am not concerned at all with those.

In my 5 cents set I am missing a few more: 1875 small date, 1881H (very common, and I swear I used to have one, it probably got sold in a lot on ebay), 1897 Narrow over wide 8, 1903H small H (I may have one amongst the 4 of this date I have, but I can't tell the difference in the book let alone among the coins I have), 1921 (quite rare), 1951 HR, 1953 NSF near ML, 1953 SF far ML, 1965 large beads, 1999P (issued for testing), 2000P.

I started both sets when I was about 10. I don't think I will seriously try to complete any other sets. I am focusing my efforts on multiple different type sets now.

I have a 2x2 got in a lot markedKM49 w/o strap with a 130.00 price on it. What I need is a very good shot of the denticle line-up. Theres also 3 marked '53 S.S. I can't find a decent pic anywhere. Do you have some? Thanks BTW the ones on ebay clearly shows a fold.

I have a 2x2 got in a lot markedKM49 w/o strap with a 130.00 price on it. What I need is a very good shot of the denticle line-up. Theres also 3 marked '53 S.S. I can't find a decent pic anywhere. Do you have some? Thanks BTW the ones on ebay clearly shows a fold.

I don't, but there are very good pictures in the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian coins. I don't have the pics handy, but the best way to tell them apart is by the the "I" in "DEI". On the SF/SS dies the "I" is flared at the ends, the edges line up with two different denticles. On the NSF/NSS version, the I is skinny and lines up over just one denticle.

Archived