CoinPeople.com

Your most complete series?

thedeadpoint

Hi everyone (Happy Black Friday to the Americans out there),

Many of us collect coins/notes by series. At the very least, we strive for every date minted of that design (e.g. 100 coins for the full Lincoln cent series). The braver collectors strive for every mint mark and major die variety.

Have you completed a series? If so, which one?

If you haven't completed a series, which is your most complete?

Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: I am not talking about type sets. I am talking about a single denomination run of a common design

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not completed a series yet but I have pretty high standards for one. I have two that are close to completion:

1) $1 silver certificates small size. I have every date and signature combination starting with the first small size note in 1928 through the last 1957B. I have all 19 standard issue notes and all 6 non-standard issues (experimental notes, major varieties, WWII issues). I also collect the star notes for each issue. Of the 25 possible star notes (one for each issue), I have 16. Thus, I have 41 of the 50 varieties I consider necessary for a complete series. I'm missing 9 - five of them cost $1500-6500 in the lowest attainable grade! I'll be working on this complete series for a long time!

2) Peace dollars. I have all 10 dates minted (1921-1928 and 1934-1935). Of the 24 possible mint mark/date combos, I have 21. I am missing the keys - 1928 and 1934-S - as well as 1934-D and 1935-S. I also consider the series incomplete without the 1934-D DDO. I think there is one more variety I could add. Lastly, my budget can't accommodate the proof issues in this series as they start at $20,000 a pop.

I have many completed type sets, but have never completed anything in USA stuff, just not enough interest. I think the closest I am to a completed set is the Mercury Dimes, and I am only missing the '16-D and that is only because I have pulled the rest of them out of "junk" silver bags, including quite a few BU's or darned near it from the mid 1930's on up to the '45.

Easy one for me Proof Lincoln memorial cents. I have a proof set for every year to 1954. :ninja: So by default. But the Morgan dollar business strikes are the one I really would like to complete. 103 business strikes and 9 to go if I counted them right.

Easy one for me Proof Lincoln memorial cents. I have a proof set for every year to 1954. :ninja: So by default. But the Morgan dollar business strikes are the one I really would like to complete. 103 business strikes and 9 to go if I counted them right.

Only 9!!! Wow! Which are you missing?

Only 9!!! Wow! Which are you missing?

I did miscount 8 left.

Of course the 1893 s. Most of the cc's, (79, 81, 85, 89, 92 been wanting to try for as many gsa's as possible there.) 1894, and 1901 s . The 1889 cc, 1893 s, and 1894 are going to be tough. I do have some of the main varieties also listed in the redbook. I am hoping to close the gap on the cc's next year.

I have two nearly complete sets. Canadian pennies and Canada 5 cents.

The pennies set is missing just a few, mostly varieties: 1859 Double Punch #1, 1953 Shoulder Fold/Strap, 1954 No Shoulder Fold/Strap (quite rare), 1955 NSF (even more rare), 1965 Varietyes 2 and 4, and a 1999P (issued for testing, quite a few circulated). There's also some different reverse varieties in the Victorian pennies, but I am not concerned at all with those.

In my 5 cents set I am missing a few more: 1875 small date, 1881H (very common, and I swear I used to have one, it probably got sold in a lot on ebay), 1897 Narrow over wide 8, 1903H small H (I may have one amongst the 4 of this date I have, but I can't tell the difference in the book let alone among the coins I have), 1921 (quite rare), 1951 HR, 1953 NSF near ML, 1953 SF far ML, 1965 large beads, 1999P (issued for testing), 2000P.

I started both sets when I was about 10. I don't think I will seriously try to complete any other sets. I am focusing my efforts on multiple different type sets now.

This surely must be the shortest series in the history of coin collecting ... but it's complete! :ninja:

The independent country of Tatarstan, formerly of the USSR and belonging to the Russian Federation since 1994, issued its own coins in one year only: 1993 (actually, it was independent for 1-1/2 years if memory serves me correctly). There were three coins issued: one in CuNi valued at a denomination of "20 Litres of petrol", a bronze coin of exactly the same size (and design!) valued at 10 litres (both of these have the same reverse design which is an oil well), and a smaller bronze coin with the same obverse design but a reverse design showing ears of wheat grain:

1993 Tatarstan, 20L of petrol:

Tatarstan_1993_Petrol_Token_20L_obv.thumb.jpgTatarstan_1993_Petrol_Token_20L_rev.thumb.jpg

1993 Tatarstan, 10L of petrol:

Tatarstan_1993_Bronze_obv.thumb.jpgTatarstan_1993_Bronze_rev.thumb.jpg

1993 Tatarstan, 1 Kilo of bread:

Tatarstan_Bread_Token_1993_obv.thumb.jpgTatarstan_Bread_Token_1993_rev.thumb.jpg

The hard part about collecting these coins is to find a nice 20L coin (or token) which doesn't have filing marks, because most of the 10L bronze coins were immediately plated with some kind of white metal in order to pass as 20L tokens!

(Who needs gold or silver? Yeah, oil and bread ... THAT'S the real specie nowadays! ;) )

;)

I did miscount 8 left.

Of course the 1893 s. Most of the cc's, (79, 81, 85, 89, 92 been wanting to try for as many gsa's as possible there.) 1894, and 1901 s . The 1889 cc, 1893 s, and 1894 are going to be tough. I do have some of the main varieties also listed in the redbook. I am hoping to close the gap on the cc's next year.

Any idea how cheap you could get a filler 1893-S?

Actually, a better question is: which of those have the greatest scarcity at filler grades?

I have been looking for the undenominated 50 Shamils banknotes from Tatarstan, that were bilingual with the lady on them. They circulated as 5.000 Rubles equivalent. They are actually much more difficult to find than the common notes that are all over the place.

Any idea how cheap you could get a filler 1893-S?

Actually, a better question is: which of those have the greatest scarcity at filler grades?

The 1901 s, 1879 cc, 1881 cc, 1885 cc, 1892 cc, are targets for next year. Most of these I should be able to get in decent grades. As to the 93 s 2,000 to 3,000 +. I don't think I would be happy with a details coin on an investment of that much. Honest wear okay, problems no.

I don't know if I have any complete series... The definition is the key. Just to mention one, which by some standards would be complete, is my set of every minted date of the Soviet 1 rouble coin of 1961-1991. Still missing some varieties. If I counted only per date and mint mark, I'd have dozens of complete sets from the USSR, Russia and some other countries. I will not be happy with just a complete run of dates and mint marks: If I know that there are varieties (but not errors), I need to find them.

The independent country of Tatarstan, formerly of the USSR and belonging to the Russian Federation since 1994, issued its own coins in one year only: 1993 (actually, it was independent for 1-1/2 years if memory serves me correctly).

Tatarstan wasn't independent. They declared their sovereignty, but not independence. Only the terrorist controlled Chechnya was "independent" in the 1990's.

I've completed the entire 104 coin set of '59-'08 memorial penny (business strikes only) on top of a mostly complete set of wheaties. I'm not willing to fork over $50-5000 for a penny, so I will probably never have the rare coins of that series. With over 1,500 log splitters sitting in my closet, I'm hoping to be able to trade for all '09 pennies I'm missing later down the road.

Last I checked I'm only a couple D coins away from completing the 100 coin State Quarter set. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to find all the territory quarters, and I'm not even going to bother with the park quarters.

I've completed the basic year '38-63 nickel set, but I'm not holding out hope for even coming close to getting all mintmarks of all years('50-D and '39-D come to mind). After '63 the mintage figures are high enough that I'm not worried about the rest of the years disappearing from circulation. I still have yet to find a single roll of nickels without a '64-D or '00-D in there.

Once I find my '99-D I'll have a full set of Agony Dollars :ninja:

I am mainly a US and European type collector, but I do have a complete set of uncirculated 20F French roosters, 1900-1914, still looking for the 1899.

I remember when these could be had for $75 each... :ninja:

I have a complete set of Jefferson Nickels (less 2009 P&D circulation strikes) - no varieties. These are all from circulation. Several complete Lincoln Memorial cents sets - many coins from circulation.

Almost complete --- Kennedy Halfs, need 5 or 6 coins.

I don't count 2009s as missing until 2010.

In 20 years of collecting I've only managed to complete 1 date run set.

Modern UK 10p coins 1992-2009 including all varieties (excluding proofs), and that took some doing. In the continual process of upgrading these all to BU standard as I get the chance, if I ever get the chance, some are fairly scarce.

Edward I mint run of pennies - just 12 mints. You can see many here: http://historiccoinage.com/edward.html

Henry III Voided Longcross mint run - much harder, 20 mints...

Now to get them both up to VF+ standards and then go for the oddities like the classes, moneyers and so forth.

Thinking about it regular proof sets 1954 to present every year. Mint sets 1959 to present. And the Mexican Caballito peso's just two away from a complete year set of those. Of course they only made them for 4 years so having 2 is 50 %.

I've reposted the pictures, I hope They are a little better

875318925ad462a3d4df8376e3ddeddb0412cf6593b82ed65184a08343b08fc3934f66e7.jpg

Edward I mint run of pennies - just 12 mints.

Now to get them both up to VF+ standards and then go for the oddities like the classes, moneyers and so forth.

I Have 16 mints but that includes the eclesiasic and the likes of Robert de Hadelei (I don't include the Dublin at the bottom).

I agree with your terminal statement, though. :ninja:

Hmm! No better then ;)

If I remember right, these are the following that are complete:

You can see most of these coins on omnicoin

China East Hopei 1937 - 5 coin set (just uploaded it yesterday)

Australia circulating coinage from 1966 to 2008 (still looking for 2009 coins :ninja: )

Soviet nicupro commemorative coins including the 1992 Barcelona Olympic coins

Japan 1870 - present type set - Dansco album (pictures are on another thread)

Most(ly) complete set of Mercury Dimes, lacking only the 1916-D.

Uncirculated $1 Federal Reserve Notes one from each bank, A through L, Boston to San Francisco for 12.

That's about it. Mostly, I am very impressed with everyone else's hard work over the years. The Edward thing was stellar! Also, the Roosters are a nice run. All in all I have to confess to being not much of a collector. But it's nice of you all to let me hang out.

Archived