CoinPeople.com

Presidio of San Francisco

I recently added a couple of tokens to my collection from the Presidio of San Francisco. The first I found in Arizona and picked up a bargain. I paid about 5% of current sales prices, although I saw one at the Santa Clara coins show entombed in plastic with a $1500? price tag on it. I paid $10 for mine.

975355.jpg

The other Presidio token, not as rare, but scarce nonetheless. It was made by Moise of San Francisco.

975356.jpg

Edit 12/17/09: LAH stands for Letterman Army Hospital. The hospital was built in 1898 and named in 1911. That makes the MOISE S.F. signature line interesting to me since the company was Moise-Klinkner by then. It clearly puts the MOISE S.F. signature in use in 1911 (or possibly a few years later).

The post exchange and other stores. Even today there are business on military bases where personnel can buy things and some are open to the public or at least retired military families.

I recently added a couple of tokens to my collection from the Presidio of San Francisco. The first I found in Arizona and picked up a bargain. I paid about 5% of current sales prices, although I saw one at the Santa Clara coins show entombed in plastic with a $1500? price tag on it. I paid $10 for mine.

975355.jpg

Is this token some sort of fiberboard? Very interesting pieces. Tokens seem to be getting a lot more attention these days. Perhaps that's a function of the economy.

Yes, it is a pressed fiber board token. All early tokens are in growing demand with an emphasis on saloon tokens and military tokens.

The Presidio occupied some of the best real estate in San Francisco, it was an Army base from the time of the Civil War until many SF Bay Area bases were closed in the 1990's. It is a pretty significant place for me, because my grandmother was then a secretary for the Army, and met my Grandfather there in 1942 when he was there awaiting to be shipped out for what was probably the most boring army assignment of the whole war - he guarded some western Hawaiian island for much of the war - without any of the amenities that combat soldiers got - but at least he never saw anything resembling conflict.

Its not the Presidio and its not California, but it is a World War II bottle deposit token from the Camp Exchange at Camp Adair, Oregon. It opened in 1942 and closed in 1946. That fairly well bounds the age of the token. It is fiber as well.

975604.jpg

• 1 year later...

While on military deployment in Iraq in 2006, the military used paper tokens. They were not special. Interesting that base exchanges on deployment still had a practice of using these since returning change in US coins was not much of an option...

While on military deployment in Iraq in 2006, the military used paper tokens. They were not special. Interesting that base exchanges on deployment still had a practice of using these since returning change in US coins was not much of an option...

Indeed, pogs. A few members here have done duty over in the sandbox and even sent me some in big handfuls. Some of the earliest printings are a bit scarce, as are the BAAFI(British pogs). I believe they are still using them too.

Archived