CoinPeople.com

common find

Corina

well found this 1976d bicentennial quarter in change yesterday and since i didn't have one it's now in my collection, yeah in know these things are very common but have not seen one in change in over a year, the coin has some wear and has been cleaned, would IMHO grade VG or higher

975304.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a wee note further to CCG's post , the first US commemorative was the Columbus expo Half dollar of 1892 , also issued with 1893 date the 92 being the more scarce of the two.

I know you guys will know that but i figured it might be helpful in the future as noobs arrive daily and some like me wouldnt have known that. :ninja:

I still find them here and there in circulation but less and less as time goes by. I still have the first one I took out of circulation, close to when they were minted...I was just a kid then.

Oh, and nothing wrong with minting coins to commemorate everything IMO, the French did it and what we got were a huge amount of lovely coins and medals...our problem is modern coins are just plain ugly and if the US was concentrating on making coins beautiful and artistic, on the whole, they failed IMO, US coins are way down on the list when I think beautiful and artistic. With a few exceptions of course....I have never been very impressed with the bulk of the coins that we have minted.

Oh, and nothing wrong with minting coins to commemorate everything IMO, the French did it and what we got were a huge amount of lovely coins and medals...our problem is modern coins are just plain ugly and if the US was concentrating on making coins beautiful and artistic, on the whole, they failed IMO, US coins are way down on the list when I think beautiful and artistic. With a few exceptions of course....I have never been very impressed with the bulk of the coins that we have minted.

True... you could saw much the same for modern Canadian NCLT.

Archived