CoinPeople.com

Russian Coin Sale Wednesday Evening

STEVE MOULDING

Just got an email from Matt Quinn

http://auctions.quinnsauction.com/asp/cataloguesearch.asp

Not the best quality, but there may be some bargains...I doubt many people know about this.

Thanks for sharing, Steve! :ninja:

Will you or anyone else you know be able to look at the lots in person? Too bad that so many lots don't have pictures. ;)

Just got an email from Matt Quinn

http://auctions.quinnsauction.com/asp/cataloguesearch.asp

Not the best quality, but there may be some bargains...I doubt many people know about this.

thank you for showing,

auction catalog was probably compiled in a big rush -

coin conditions per picture only, or no pictures at all :ninja:

Just received:

Thank you so much. We posted more pictures today and we can gladly take individual pictures by request. Those requests should go to David.Quinn@quinnsauction.com.

Thanks again and let me know if you have additional requests

-Matt

I have never participated in an auction without being there - is there a way to bid online or something for this one? Or is it too late? I'm really unfamiliar with the process.... :ninja:

Yes, every lot says "Bid and Track", so it looks like you can bid online. You normally have to register first (also online).

Good luck!

There's a 1896 Coronation Rouble there... with an estimate of $50-80 :ninja:

The value as far as I know should be significantly higher... Think many Russian coin collectors will be there? If not, I'm definitely thinking of going after that one...

Go for it. I don't think many russian coin collectors will know about this auction (I could be wrong). Personally, I've never heard of them. They wrote to me yesterday asking me to let RNS members know about it, probably after tracking me down on google. So that's probably good for your chances. On the other hand they might not know a fake if they saw one, so bid with care (as always).

Best,

Steve

You guys think there's a chance it could have fakes there?

There's always that chance, but I think it becomes more likely when a seller is dealing in material with which he/she is unfamiliar.

The misattribution of various pieces in this sale suggests that whomever did the cataloging does not know very much about Imperial Russian coins. That might mean increased risks and/or opportunities for the buyer.

That Anna 1733 Poltina looks like a good candidate for my "ugly poltina" collection, but sadly the coin is plugged.

plus im being frugal these days :ninja:

btw thank you for posting the link, Steve!

Besides the fact that Jim Elmen's mail-bid auction ends tomorrow ... if the other auction were a couple of day later, I might be tempted. But I am bidding a fair amount of money in WWC, so will have to wait.

I have not noticed myself, but I was told that the last lot (do not remember the number) described as "coins and medals" had a Gangut rouble in it. The lot was sold for $280. If the Gangut is real - now that's a bargain :ninja:

Did someone here get it? Share the information.

Archived