CoinPeople.com

WOW, has Russia gone insane?

gxseries

Just the beginning of this month, Russia has released 4 special commemorative coins about Tatarstan.

Central Bank Russia homepage

But Tatarstan is supposed to be an independent country!

I know that Russia has commemorated precious metal coins before like this,

Kremlin

But isn't Russia overdoing it this time with 1kg silver and gold coin? :ninja:

Earlier on, I was talking about Russia releasing a 10 ruble bi-metal coin about Kaliningrad, what do you think is going on?

Has the Russian mint ran out of ideas to mint coins? Or are there still some Soviet men working in the mint, and have no idea how the world has changed? ;)

But Tatarstan is supposed to be an independent country!

Nope, it is one of the republics which form Russian Federation.

lol I should have googled, but yea, it seems that they had declared independence at one point before...but why call themselves the Republic of Tatarstan... Now it seems that it is a federal subject of Russia... :ninja:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatarstan

Honestly, I thought it was surprising, as Russia so far has minted large precious metal coins to important themes, or cities, as such the "protect the world species" and "300th anniversary of st petersburg". I am guessing that Tatarstan is pretty important to Russia in many ways... ;)

lol I should have googled, but yea, it seems that they had declared independence at one point before...but why call themselves the Republic of Tatarstan... Now it seems that it is a federal subject of Russia... :ninja:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatarstan

Honestly, I thought it was surprising, as Russia so far has minted large precious metal coins to important themes, or cities, as such the "protect the world species" and "300th anniversary of st petersburg". I am guessing that Tatarstan is pretty important to Russia in many ways... ;)

There are 21 republics in Russia, for example the Karelian Republic, which is our neighbour. See:

Ah I see. Well, I don't know, but I guess Russia must be getting quite lame in using 1kg gold and silver coins to mint them... those are like the big profittable coins... :ninja: I mean, instead of making 10000 silver coins, the mint just has to mint 100 or 1000 ultra limited 1kg coins, and making collectors... for a limited range of collectors... like for the Russian oil tycoons... ;)

I would have been happier if they minted them out of palladium / platinum. I haven't seen Russia using palladium and platinum ever since the Russian economy crisis. ;)

There are several political regions in Russia which refer to themselves as Republics, they have varying degrees of interpretation of this moniker however. Tatarstan views itself as an autonomous part of Russia, while some in the Republic of Chechenya would consider themselves completely independent, and occupied.

In a similar vain, in Ukraine the Krim Republic, which encompasses what westerners know as the Crimea, has it's own President, and legislature but is an autonomous part of Ukraine. This was a political compromise, when some Russian speakers wanted to secede from Ukraine and become part of Russia again. Krim was only made a part of Ukraine in 1954, it was a *gift* from Russia.