CoinPeople.com

Would you have returned this set?

Fropa

My 2005 Proof set had a missing piece in the "E" of ONE on the reverse. Should I have returned this or is it something worth keeping? I assume this is caused by a piece of something getting stuck in the die during the minting process.

2005DimeError2a.jpg

2005DimeError3a.jpg

2005DimeError5a.jpg

I really can't tell from the pictures. If it's just a flat spot in the frosting - return it. If it's an indentation in the E, keep it.

If you like it - keep it no matter what. If you hate it -- ditch it.

:ninja:

If it's just a flat spot in the frosting - return it. If it's an indentation in the E, keep it.

Yep, a flat spot in the frosting would make it look like an impaired proof even if it came from the mint that way while an indentation in the letter would make it an error or die variety. Being ten years old, maybe that's already a recognized die variety.

It is a 2005 set not a 95 set, sorry for the mistake, I'll fix it in the original post. It is an indention in the letter not just some missing frost. I do plan on keeping it since it is the first set I've gotten with anything out of the ordinary. I saw another thread about sending sets back for replacement so I was curious if this was something people return sets for.

I took the picture with a digital camera through the eyepiece of my binocular microscope. This was the first coin I tried to take a picture of.

Archived