CoinPeople.com

This one is good for a laugh...

bobh

If it was only 119,000 I would be all over that

:ninja:;)

;)

Looks like the eBay seller interface doesn't like decimal points in locales other than USA ... the seller probably entered "$120,00" (as in $120) and eBay was helpful and tacked on the additional "0". Many countries, such as Germany and Austria, use the comma as decimal point; the dot is used as thousands separator.

Cool. Free shipping on a $120k item. Generous guy... :ninja:

To be fair my first pics with a digital camera looked like the first item. Of course I wasn't trying to sell something.

$120,000 is peanuts... this one will end in an hour:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-Russian-25-Rubel-B...=item3ef9e143ff

Once you win this amazing note (which I bought for $3) for the sale price of $12.5 million, he will deliver it for $2,000 anywhere in Europe, or $10,000 if you live worldwide. I don't think it's all Europeans and their commas, some of these sellers are just desperate?

A true bargain :ninja:

Once you win this amazing note (which I bought for $3) for the sale price of $12.5 million, he will deliver it for $2,000 anywhere in Europe, or $10,000 if you live worldwide. I don't think it's all Europeans and their commas, some of these sellers are just desperate?

You are correct, the locale and decimal separator don't seem to matter here.

My theory:

The seller has only 14 feedback score. Maybe this auction was not intended to be bought, but made as some kind of test for the auction setup?

(But it is crazy, nevertheless ... ;) )

I have seen these for years. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on? I doubt someone could truly hope that the sale would go through. Are they all insane? After all, it costs money to list these items...

I think it costs $4 flat to list any item over $500 on eBay. Seller probably (rightly) thinks $4 is cheap entertainment; it certainly gets a bunch of forum guys jumping up and down :ninja:

I have seen these for years. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on? I doubt someone could truly hope that the sale would go through. Are they all insane? After all, it costs money to list these items...

On Ebay.ca I keep getting like 5 offers a month for free insertion listings. The only drawback is that they take the higher/highest(?) FVF percent no matter what the final bid is. Could be that he is swinging for the fences. I'd gladly take a 15% fee if someone bought my "million dollar" item :ninja:

No bids. Imagine that. ;)

A newbie eBay seller with 0 feedback: 1899 Silver 50 Kopek

OK, you've seen the pictures, now read in his description:

"The pictures just do not do this coin justice you just have to see it in hand."

:ninja:;);)

That 50 Kopek guy's pictures are considered professional compared to this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1882-RUSSIAN-COIN_W0QQ...=item3a54a6b51b

The first 2 seconds after I saw those pictures I thought it was a US quarter :yes:

I went through Bitkin and I have absolutely no idea what 1882 Russian coin has a face facing left... Alexander faces Right in all the cataloged coins. So I'm offering that link as a "Guess the Coin from the Terrible Pictures" game, assuming that the seller knows for a fact it's a Russian coin (because I'm starting to doubt it, but maybe you guys know better)....

Enjoy ;)

It's obviously a round metal disk that might have some kind of a design stamped on it. I think. Maybe. ;)

UNC metal disk with design, no doubt. :ninja:

UPDATE: I emailed the seller asking for better pictures, he said "I can't." So I'm guessing he saw a nice shiny disk and tried to get rid of it for $35.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived