CoinPeople.com

Old SF Mint Coin Show

bill

I took a day off (furlough day!) and attended the Old SF Mint Coin Show. The show was not that exciting for me since I don't really collect US coins. I did pick up a so-called dollar and passed on a couple of others that were too expensive since they were not immediately related to my collecting interests. I had fun anyway since it is always great fun to spend a day looking at coins. The old San Francisco mint is now owned by the city and is in the slow process of becoming a museum. It is open on infrequent occasions and this was a first as a venue for a coin show. Gone is the exhibit of California pioneer gold hosted by Kagin, but the building is interesting nevertheless. (A few dealers, including Kagin's, did bring a number of pioneer gold pieces and raw gold nuggets back into the mint for the show.) The dealers were spread throughout the entry level floor where miners originally brought their gold to be converted to coin.

A tour led us to the basement (ground) floor for a tour of the old vaults. I just had my iPhone, but I got a few shots anyway:

The hall of vaults:

4081452145_87981a22f9.jpg

Historic photograph of bags of newly minted coins stacked in a vault:

4082217436_d0d3df6e3e.jpg

A vault wall today (no money bags left today):

4082213158_33b24f78fd.jpg

How much did those bags weigh? One clue is left in the walls of the vaults. The weight of the coins left impressions in the walls of the coins in the burlap bags. The diameters are approximately silver dollar or twenty dollar gold piece size:

4081453293_dc94d80af7.jpg

All in all, a good day and well worth the trip to San Francisco.

How much did those bags weigh? One clue is left in the walls of the vaults. The weight of the coins left impressions in the walls of the coins in the burlap bags. The diameters are approximately silver dollar or twenty dollar gold piece size:

:ninja:

Thanks for sharing, Bill! I'm impressed they are doing those tours and that collaboration with coin dealers!

The SF mint was a veritable Mecca back in the late 1970's when the Pioneer gold exhibit was there, the million dollar gold bar display was there and they had the mint store. It is rather sad that something that was so worthwhile to see went by the wayside because of insurance etc.

At least I have more than a few coins that were struck there in the late 19th century when it was at it's heyday.

All coin shows, mints, etc. are well worth a trip. And places like that too are always interessting to show how things were done way back in the good old days. To bad so many other such buildings are demolished for progress but that's progress I guess.

Nice trip and it sure is something to remember.

The beams of light seem to be a California theme on coins/medals. Aren't their several gold California issues from the 1840s-1870s that have prominent rays on them?

Archived