CoinPeople.com

Clipped Large Cent

jimbo13

I found this large cent while metal detecting and was told by someone in the club that it might be a clipped planchet. The inside circumference is the same as the outside circumference of the coin . I know little to nothing about coins and would appreciate any thoughts - Thanks

CoinFront.jpg

You have to think about how clipped planchets come about and whether that same process was used for large cents. I can't personally answer that question with any expertise myself, but I can note that it appears so regular and evenly worn that I suspect the large cent was modified outside the mint for some purpose. Its an interesting item in its own right and understanding what it was supposed to be (dcoration or some function?) is an intriguing question. So, I think it is deliberately modified as opposed to being a "bow-tie" clipped planchet.

Many cents have been modified for other uses over the years. I've seen (and my dad has found) many 1 and 2 cent coins that have been modified into a button or closure mechanism. I think this is an example of some sort of toggle closure for a bag or coat. It even looks more worn within the clipped areas. It's an awesome find; I love stuff like this. Honestly, that would go with my artifacts before my coins. :ninja:

Many cents have been modified for other uses over the years. I've seen (and my dad has found) many 1 and 2 cent coins that have been modified into a button or closure mechanism. I think this is an example of some sort of toggle closure for a bag or coat. It even looks more worn within the clipped areas. It's an awesome find; I love stuff like this. Honestly, that would go with my artifacts before my coins. :ninja:

To be honest - that's where it is right now. My friends and I have found several other coins, buttons (some nice Rev War and War of 1812), as well as a bunch of miscellaneous artifacts. One guy even found a counterfit $5 Gold Piece made out of copper or brass.

Thanks for the input!

Archived