CoinPeople.com

1804 Inauguration de la Légion d'honneur, France.

974670.jpg

33mm - Details - R

Bramsen - 2186

d'Essling - 1014

It was something of a surprise to run across this while hunting through the boxes at Falcone's Coins in San Jose (really nice folks but bring cash). It is unlisted in copper and definitely rare in brass. I had never seen one but was about 99% certain that it was from the period. The descriptions in both Bramsen and d'Essling leave a lot to be desired but the plate in d'Essling is this medal (obviously not this exact example since the plate shows a brass one). And since they share identical descriptions, to the word, I identified it as Bramsen 2186.

Note that while the date is 1802 it features the Emperor (crowned 1804) and is listed in 1804 in all the references.

974670.jpg

33mm - Details - R

Bramsen - 2186

d'Essling - 1014

It was something of a surprise to run across this while hunting through the boxes at Falcone's Coins in San Jose (really nice folks but bring cash). It is unlisted in copper and definitely rare in brass. I had never seen one but was about 99% certain that it was from the period. The descriptions in both Bramsen and d'Essling leave a lot to be desired but the plate in d'Essling is this medal (obviously not this exact example since the plate shows a brass one). And since they share identical descriptions, to the word, I identified it as Bramsen 2186.

Note that while the date is 1802 it features the Emperor (crowned 1804) and is listed in 1804 in all the references.

As is typical with many french medals, the date on the medal usually relates more to the event being commemorated than the date it was struck.

What luck . Nice find ! :ninja:

Archived