CoinPeople.com

1814 Centenary of the Accession of the House of Brunswick, Great Britain.

1814 Centenary of the Accession of the House of Brunswick, Great Britain.

974664.jpg

50mm - Details - N

While this is listed as Normal (BHM's way of saying scarce) it is the first I've ever seen. I like these types of medals because they show how the world continued even with wars, peace, Congresses of Vienna, escaping Napoleon-type guys...

And while it looks a lot like George III to me this is the Prince Regent (George IV) on the obverse.

I see the celebrations went on for 3 days in Cork, I guess the corks were popping in Cork.

"Ah, but do they speak English?" Up to George III, not so much if any. Geo III first language though was english.

Whatever the ability of the first 2 Hanoverian kings to speak english it did not affect their interactions with the politicans, courtiers, nobility etc very much as french was the lingua franca of those times.

I see the celebrations went on for 3 days in Cork, I guess the corks were popping in Cork.

"Ah, but do they speak English?" Up to George III, not so much if any. Geo III first language though was english.

Whatever the ability of the first 2 Hanoverian kings to speak english it did not affect their interactions with the politicans, courtiers, nobility etc very much as french was the lingua franca of those times.

Quite true. In fact if you expected to have a career in say the Russian military and you weren't Russian you simply needed to speak French and everything worked itself out. Not great if you actually issued orders directly to the Russian PBI but most staff positions in all armies of the period expected you to speak French.

Archived