CoinPeople.com

Fake Rouble Romanov Ann. 1613-1913 on Allegro

mauricecesar

Hello,

I have just found it on Allegro... wanted to hear your opinions about this coin

http://allegro.pl/item771269908_rubel_1913_proba.html

looks like a fake for me

There are no documented examples of Romanov commemorative roubles with plain edge. Also, it is hard to imagine why anyone would take the trouble to sand off the edge inscription. It is such a common coin that I would stay away from this one.

there are some fakes on todays market of this ruble, they may be with no edge :ninja:

Hey guys, first post here. I thought I might share my opinion since I actually own a 1913 Romanov Rouble (yes, authentic):

The coin's faces have all the details that suggest it's authentic, but the edge is a problem. It's unlikely that this plain edge was an exception or a mint mistake, the coin's edge in my opinion was shaved down. The thickness of the border around the coin that is on the outside of the "dashed" border should be much thicker on an un-altered coin and much more uniform. The lettering on the edge of the coin is pretty deep, and shaving down the coin edge would result in that outside border becoming visibly different. That's exactly what happened when I opened that pic, the thickness on the far outside border is significantly less than the one on mine, which has the edge letterings. The picture has the "dashed" border practically on the outskirts of the face, but in reality you should easily have another 2-3 mm of silver surface beyond that dashed border. The only part of the coin that appears to have the right thickness is the part of the outside border that is above the word "Rouble" on the eagle side.

I hope you are joking about 2-3 mm -- that would make a 1913 ruble coin the size of a Morgan dollar. Very hard to file off the edge on a silver coin and to keep all angles 90 degree and leave no traces. Thus, if there were any filing, the auction house should have seen it.

Archived