CoinPeople.com

Collectors of Russian coins - who are they?

Esme

I see that Russian theme is widely presented at well-known auctions. The whole sections and even separate auctions are devoted to Russian coins.

It is interesting to me - what is the structure of buyers of Russian coins outside of Russia?

Russians from Russia, Russians living in the different countries, people not connected with Russia, but taking interest in this theme?

Who are they?

I see that Russian theme is widely presented at well-known auctions. The whole sections and even separate auctions are devoted to Russian coins.

It is interesting to me - what is the structure of buyers of Russian coins outside of Russia?

Russians from Russia, Russians living in the different countries, people not connected with Russia, but taking interest in this theme?

Who are they?

Let me speak for myself - I am a Russian immigrant, came to the USA in 1995 to get my MBA degree. Then decided to stay "one more year" to get professional experience in the field of Informational Technology... So I have been living here since.

I think Russians in general have a much bigger appreciation toward history and cultural artifacts and that's why they would rather spend money on valuable pieces for their collection than on sports (for instance).

And my personal opinion is that Russian coins are hugely undervalued now (compare with US coins) and represent an interesting investment opportunity.

And my personal opinion is that Russian coins are hugely undervalued now (compare with US coins) and represent an interesting investment opportunity.

Thank you.

I considered a collecting of Russian coins only as a specific branch of numismatics and did not think about an investment component.

Who are they?

I'm not Russian, just someone who got hooked (after getting bored with domestic issues) and started dabbling in world coins and then drifted increasingly into Russian until that was more or less all I was doing.

Not knowing the language has been somewhat of a handicap for me, but there is a growing body of literature in English which helps (and some Russian language catalogs which can be understood with a bit of effort by those of us who do not have the language).

While there are certainly exceptions, I tend to agree with Khokhloma in his general statement that Russians (as a group) often have a greater sense of history (and perhaps a longer attention span) than we (as a group) typically do.

HELLO EVERYBODY ;)

AT FIRST SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

AS IT S WRITTEN IM MY PROFILE I M FRENCH, I VE RELATIVES COMING FROM GERMANY IN THE PAST ,BUT NOT FROM RUSSIA;

I M INTERESTED IN RUSSIAN COINS SINCE 2 YEARS APPROXIMATLY.I VE A WAY TO EXPLAIN THAT; A FIRST I WAS INTERESTED IN RUSSIA SINCE 4 OR 5 YEARS , I WAS REALY INTERESTED IN HIS CULTURE, HISTORY,GEOPLOTICS ,AND PEOPLE. IN THE END OF 2007 I DECIDED TO SAVE MONEY IN A PASSION( I DIDIN T KNOW BEETWEEN STAMPS ,WINE, COINS (I HESITATE BEETWEEN NAPOLEON THE 1ST AND RUSSIAN COINS),BUT IT WAS A CRIME FOR A FRENCH PEOPLE TO NOT CHOOSING WINE ;) ) AND I CHOOSE RUSSIAN COINS, BECAUSE I BEGAN TO VISIT EX RUSSIAN REPUBLICS( I VISITED LATVIA ,LITUANIA, ESTONIA, AND MOLDAVIA);TODAY I MUST SAY THAT IT S REALLY AN INERESTING CHOICE, MY GOAL ISN T TO GAIN MONEY, BUT HAVING A NICE COLLECTION WITHOUT LOOSING MONEY A LOT.

THAT S ALL

REGARDS FROM FRANCE :ninja:

JEAN

Hello, I'm Italian, from Rome. I started collecting russian coins for case, two and half years ago. I am a numismatist for over thirty years and my particular field is roman republican coins, but I like always the Russian coins. Moreover between Rome and Russia there is a historical connection.

I believe that the Russian coinage is one of the most fascinating of modern times and I think that issues of Nicholas II are wonderful.

Thank You Russia!

David

Sorry, not Nicholas II, but Nicholas I.

both Nickolas I and Nicholas II have nice series :ninja:

Archived