CoinPeople.com

Medal "To the Visitor" by Anton Sharff

one-kuna

Посътителю.

My latest attempt to find out more about Anton Sharff, an austrian medallist of medal "To the Visitor" of the Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich Romanov, ended with no results. I sent to Austrian mint/museum some request get some more info on him and his medallistic life but no answer received so far.

I have some briefly short paragraphs from internet but this is not what I am looking for.

I need something deeper, a connection, or details how the Grand Duke ordered a medal, did he approved a design, was there a correspondence, and so on.

Possibly someone could know a book about him (Anton Sharff)?

Thank you on advance.

Посътителю.

My latest attempt to find out more about Anton Sharff, an austrian medallist of medal "To the Visitor" of the Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich Romanov, ended with no results. I sent to Austrian mint/museum some request get some more info on him and his medallistic life but no answer received so far.

I have some briefly short paragraphs from internet but this is not what I am looking for.

I need something deeper, a connection, or details how the Grand Duke ordered a medal, did he approved a design, was there a correspondence, and so on.

Possibly someone could know a book about him (Anton Sharff)?

Thank you on advance.

Some links here....

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Scharff

Could the spelling of the surname be Scharff? or is this a differant person?

found this on Anton Scharff

A ustria. - The two leading medallists of the Austrian school are Josef Tautenhayn (see Plate) and Anton Scharff, both highly accomplished, yet neither displaying the highest qualities of taste, ability and "keeping," which distinguishes the French masters. About 330 pieces have come from the hand of Anton Scharff. Stefan Schwartz, Franz Pawlik, Staniek, Marschall and J. Tautenhayn, j unior, are the only other artists who have risen to eminence. Germany. - A characteristically florid style is here cultivated, such as lends itself to the elaborate treatment of costume, armorial bearings, and the like; but delicacy, distinction, and the highest excellence in modelling and draughtsmanship - qualities which should accompany even the most vigorous or elaborate designs - are lacking in a great degree. Professors Hildebrand and Kowarzik have wrought some of the most artistic works there produced

found this on Anton Scharff

A ustria. - The two leading medallists of the Austrian school are Josef Tautenhayn (see Plate) and Anton Scharff, both highly accomplished, yet neither displaying the highest qualities of taste, ability and "keeping," which distinguishes the French masters. About 330 pieces have come from the hand of Anton Scharff. Stefan Schwartz, Franz Pawlik, Staniek, Marschall and J. Tautenhayn, j unior, are the only other artists who have risen to eminence. Germany. - A characteristically florid style is here cultivated, such as lends itself to the elaborate treatment of costume, armorial bearings, and the like; but delicacy, distinction, and the highest excellence in modelling and draughtsmanship - qualities which should accompany even the most vigorous or elaborate designs - are lacking in a great degree. Professors Hildebrand and Kowarzik have wrought some of the most artistic works there produced

thank yuo, anything else may be :ninja:

Посътителю.

I hope you ask about mintage and dates first and last medal struck on Austrian mint :ninja: ? Would be very interesting.

I hope you ask about mintage and dates first and last medal struck on Austrian mint :ninja: ? Would be very interesting.

can you make a list of yours with weight and year so will not miss any pieces

A Scharff made about several hudred medals according L Forrer list :ninja:

At Kunker, just now, lot 6626 was a medal by Scharff.

nice one as all Scharff's medals!

I was wondering if some can share how A Scharff and Georgii Mikhailovich came up to a design of his medal "To the Visitor"; Staraya moneta (editor Kopylov) says that Horserider, the legendary warrior Saint George was His favotire, however no one notised about the other side where youthful Muse sitting and next to her the standing worker holding a mandrel came from.

It seems to me that Horserider could have came from British coin design, and Muse from something else but I did not match similar piece yet :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived