CoinPeople.com

An Aluminum Medal Mystery Tour.

A MAGICAL MEDAL MYSTERY TOUR

Plucked from that 'Alladin's Cave of cyber-space' ebay, taken from the hands of an uninitiate this hand-wrought object, key to a wonderland of our craft.

By searching for the answers to the dual unknown, who is it & final what is it, I trust you will find the journey worthwhile.

Aluminum/Aluminium 44mm convex obv. concave rev.

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

It's a Zobl can't you read? :ninja:

I don't know but the writing on the obv. looks like Sinhala or something weird...is that Harrison Ford?

A die-test for Martian money. That'd be my bet.

Click on the pic, then click again for the fullest enlargement & look at the 'script'? again. I am sure it will look clearer, mind I do not think it will help you in your quest.

Harrison Ford = No

Martian money = No

Zobl = warm

You have eared a gold star for being the 1st participant. I tried to give you a gold star, but you are on 5 already.

It is a self portrait of the artist Helmut Zobl of Vienna. I'm assuming it is his telphone number in 1994, although it is likely not his telephone number today. I haven't taken the time to really figure out if the small anthropomorphic characters are meant to be German letters or if their actions "spell" out a message.

It is hand engraved and likely hand struck as a personal store card or advertising piece..

It is a self portrait of the artist Helmut Zobl of Vienna. I'm assuming it is his telphone number in 1994, although it is likely not his telephone number today. I haven't taken the time to really figure out if the small anthropomorphic characters are meant to be German letters or if their actions "spell" out a message.

It is hand engraved and likely hand struck as a personal store card or advertising piece..

The only point that you are wrong about, it is still his phone number even though this, his personal visting/calling card, was first struck for his fiftieth birthday in 1991, this example was struck in 1994. It is based on one of his other hand struck medals. If you peruse his site he has an example of this, his visiting card, in silver(also dated 1994) and below it the Mozart taler(1991) that inspired it.

LINK TO TRANSLATED VERSION OF HELMUT ZOBL'S WEB PAGES

You can see, on the first page that opens, the reverse of his calling card date 2008.

153.jpg

The site is well worth looking at, as he hand engraves & teaches his skills to others (including school children), there are many interesting medallic & coin pieces there, ranging from greek & celtic inspired to the present day, plus glass & painted pieces.

I personally had not been aware of his work till I saw this piece and googled it, totally not my normal collecting field I guess we should all try to 'get out more' from our normal fields, if not to buy then at least to enjoy. Glad you 'got it' Bill, what with it being aluminum!

Hope other people enjoy looking there too, if I can only introduce one other person to his work I will be very happy.

208.jpg

I got it close, but I failed to land on his own home page. (I think I stopped searching too soon for my own good). Thanks for the page reference. His work is indeed interesting and now I have a new item for my aluminum want list.

Great thread. But I still want to know what the writing is around the obverse. :ninja:

When you work it out Frank please do not forget to post it, as we would all like to know too!

I do not think they are meant to represent letters, they are just stick figures. The only letters on the obverse H & Z are above his left shoulder, if I am correct.

Here is the german:

Titel/Bezeichnung : Selbstportrait und Selbstbeleuchtung

Werknummer : WNR 901, RV 3- WNR 903- E1NZOBL

Jahr : 1991

Format : Ø 25 mm

Beschreibung :

Nach dem Mozart-Taler 1991 entstand diese Prägung zu meinem 50. Geburtstag.

"Visitkarten-Prägungen" in Alu, Kupfer und Silber

and the english(google) translation:

Title / Description : Selfportrait and Selflighting(self-illumination or self-knowledge?)

Work number : WNR 901, RV 3 - WNR 903 - E1NZOBL

Year : 1991

Format : Ø 25 mm

Description :

After the Mozart Taler 1991 originated this embossing for my 50th Birthday.

"Visit card embossing" in aluminum, copper and silver.

Here is the image of that Mozart Taler

356.jpg

An explanation from another of his medals:

The man himself is a sign written and also for other people. Will er die (Mit)-Menschen verstehen, muss (soll) er selbst zuerst die richtigen Zeichen setzen. If he wants to understand the (co)-people have to (should) put himself first, the correct characters. Gemeinsam eine lebendige Sprache sein. Together to be a living language. Im Wahren und Guten. In truth and goodness. In Frieden leben. To live in peace.

712.jpg

Between 7 o'clock & 6 o'clock you can make out two people 'making out', then what look like ovaries, womb etc, then 2 people one of whom is heavily pregnant, then a scene of birth etc with new born held a loft, then at 5 mother & child.

You can see for yourselves what the 2 elongated circular figures around the central image are doing!

Helmut Zobl @ work & teaching his art to children.

49.jpg902.jpg921.jpg

• 1 year later...

My piece was purchased over eBay and unfortunately I cannot be of any assistance as to where to obtain any of his other items. Still I am very happy to have at least introduced you to Helmut Zobl & good luck with your quest to obtain an example of his work for yourself :bthumbsup:

Archived