CoinPeople.com

Two different Jessica Lynch edition Silver Eagles?

Burks

While browsing on Ebay I found what I have been looking for, a 2004 Jessica Lynch edition Silver Eagle graded MS69 by PCGS. What I also found was a 2003 edition. I decide to check out PCGS's website and see what they price both the coins at. Oddly enough they only list the 2004 coin.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Are the 2003's fakes or did they just not list that year?

Oh! I'm glad you posted those links!

I figured you were talking about some kind of horrible colorized silver eagle with a picture of Lynch on it.

I'm glad to see that she got to profit off her name a little bit!

I agree with you on that part about the story being a fake but I want the different, I guess you can call it, varities of the SE.

That's my point. There are no different SAE varieties. The signature of Pvt. Lynch on the slab insert is the only thing that makes it a "Lynch SAE". Crack it out and you have a $9.00 silver bullion coin, indistinguishable from any other SAE struck that year. I'd also look askance at the MS69 grade they assign to these things.

PCGS is headed up by a relentless huckster. The service has no credibility with me anymore because of its flexible grading standards. This stunt doesn't help raise their stature, IMO.

PCGS is headed up by a relentless huckster.  The service has no credibility with me anymore because of its flexible grading standards.  This stunt doesn't help raise their stature, IMO.

Hmmmm yes. I didn't see it that way. Thanks for your input.

I guess it makes sense that PCGS would capitalize on a fraud already swallowed by the TV addicted public, but it's still a fraud. A few more frauds like this and maybe people will start to see what a scam PCGS is in other areas as well.

The number of AU Morgans in PCGS MS63 holders hasn't had that effect yet, but such practices as assigning MS grades to chopmarked coins and hustling absurdities like the Jessica Lynch sig on a nonsensically MS69 graded bullion coin might hasten the process somewhat.

Add to their legacy the many thousands of PCGS body-bagged coins which have later been certified by more reputable firms, and maybe we have the makings of some headway against the absurdly high regard in which PCGS is held by some people.

Archived