CoinPeople.com

Early Hispanic Coins

bill

I've been rephotographing my Hispanic collection using the techniques I was exploring with Roman coins. These are all posted in a separate thread in the Ancient Coin Museum. Each coin is displayed in a composite photograph with the enlarged coin, the coin actual size, diameter and weight, brief catalog description, and a location map for the mint. A few comments about the images. The smallest coins show lots of negative space. I've done that because I've put each coin on the same size background. The large images are enlarged the same amount, the actual size images are actual size. They won't show that way depending on your monitor size, etc, that's why I did them all in exactly the same format. The relative sizes should be consistent throughout the images. Eight are done, four to go. I decided to post those already done and will finsih the rest in the next week.

The first image:

3873690728_407272a0b5.jpg

A large and very large image.

Obulco As:

3877316914_6b9650b5a7.jpg

I've added images shot from the edge when the thickness of the planchet or relief is of interest.

The large and very large images.

Ilegertes As

3892128254_86a6dcc971.jpg

My first Celtiberian purchase and the coin that sparked this aspect of my collection. I love the detail of the wolf.

Ursone As

3894573346_89bf0a1d44.jpg

A rare coin, poorly preserved. The surfaces have been heavily worked in cleaning the coin. I've seen one nicer piece for three times more than I paid for this example. Note from the edge how the flans are prepared in tapered molds.

Oretanos As

3894796513_fd3d437d0c.jpg

The coin is struck partially off planchet (down and to the right), but the Sphinx shows well. Again note the tapered planchet.

Osset As

3895665172_dc9ebb4ac5.jpg

Okay, I like wine and could not resist the lure of the grape. This particular design was struck in the Roman provincial mint and it also appears to have been struck in a local Celtiberian mint (which I believe this is an example as it is not as refined as other examples).

Iulia Traducta As

3897476823_70ed533571.jpg

My least well preserved piece. It is in need of an upgrade. The mint location is approximate. The exact site has not been located.

Turiaso As

3897477821_fc3d2e71c1.jpg

The bottom quadrant of this piece is flawed or damaged, but I love the image of the bull.

This ends my collection as of Labor Day!

• 1 year later...

Its been a year, but my favorite ancients dealer, Tom Cederlind was in San Francisco for the Old Mint show. I was able to add four new pieces to my collection. The first imaged is the smallest. I broke protocol and blew it up more than I did images earlier in this series because it is so small. The actual size image, however, is at the actual size (in 300 dpi) as in the earlier images.

5007414224_cf9b94fb09.jpg

I've been rephotographing my Hispanic collection using the techniques I was exploring with Roman coins.

An admirable stint of hard and careful work. Thank you.

Oretanos quadrans (compare this one to the semis above):

5021448526_127d55628f.jpg

The cheek on the obverse is a bit hot and I have some cruft in the black field. I need to reshoot and fix the first and clean up the cruft when I do.

A second Osset As. The planchet is smaller, but the image is better preserved. The hips on the male holding the grapes almost appears to be a bowl, although no one makes that identification.

5021624362_841af76d0a.jpg

A large and a very large image.

• 1 month later...

Wonderful pics, great presentation, and some very nice coins.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Archived