CoinPeople.com

Real or Fake ....1756 10 rouble (rubel in eBay)

jroc

I asked the seller several questions, but no reply which normally means it's a scam. I would like a real one for my small collection....but the price currently reflects doubts from the public.

Opinions please>

http://cgi.ebay.com/1756-10-RUBEL-GOLD-FAN...Z170377140263QQ

I can't say about the gold 10 rouble coin, but the 1911 rouble looks fake to me. A very clever fake, to be sure ... but look at how the denticles mush into the rim instead of being offset somewhat; the eagle wing tips don't look right; the lettering is mushy; etc.

There are plenty of red flags here, more than enough to make me want to stay away.

I asked the seller several questions, but no reply which normally means it's a scam. I would like a real one for my small collection....but the price currently reflects doubts from the public.

Opinions please>

The seller says "No Returns Accepted". If that's not sufficient cause for concern, he also says that the coin is a "...CONSIGNMENT FOR A CLIENT,THE COIN WILL BE SENT DIRECTLY FROM MY CLIENT., I GUARANTEE FOR SHIPMENT...UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SEE THIS COIN COLLECTION PERONLY.(sic)"

For the purpose of comparison, here is a (probably genuine) example which sold in a Gorny auction last March for 30,000 Euros (hammer price) on a 20,000 Euros estimate.

1756imperialk.jpg

...sold in a Gorny auction last March for 30,000 Euros (hammer price) on a 20,000 Euros estimate.

This, IMHO, is the most compelling argument that the coin in the eBay auction is most likely a fake.

Opinions please>

best advise to you is do not buy it - too many problems with a coin and a seller :ninja:

It was discussed on one numismatists forum in Russia recently. All opinions were between "shit" and "terrible looking fake". I am surprised by these people making bids for absolutely obvious forgery :ninja:

Thank you all.....I did receive a reply from the seller....but as expected the info was as thin as the original listing....no info.....no pictures....no responsibilty for the person they are supposedly selling the coin for....what a great deal...

Thank you all.....I did receive a reply from the seller....but as expected the info was as thin as the original listing....no info.....no pictures....no responsibilty for the person they are supposedly selling the coin for....what a great deal...

And no return privilege if you are unhappy with the coin when you receive it.

Archived