CoinPeople.com

Possible Roosevelt dime on foreign planchet

John Jones

Hey, I found an odd dime in my pocket change. It was darkly tarnished, so it caught my eye thinking it was silver. After I cleaned it a little, I realised that it is a clad dime, just a little weird looking. I tossed it in my coin box and forgot about it for a while. But, somewhere in the back of my head, lurked the mystery of this one.

After doing some research, this is my theory: A centavos planchet was punched too small, and didn't get a rim. Maybe quality control caught it or something. Then, somehow, it got mixed up with the dime blanks, and got struck with the usual Roosevelt dimes. Because it is so similar, it easily passed into circulation, and escaped detection for years until I spied it.

After showing it to a couple of local coin dealers, they agreed with me, and told me I should send it off to be authenticated. One suggested I take pictures and send them to a more experienced coin guy. He looked at the pictures, and said it is simply a "damaged/altered" coin. However it looks a little different in pictures. The details of the reeding and edges aren't crisp enough to really do it justice.

But, here it is, anyway. I would really like some opinions on this one. Should I go through the hassle and expense of sending it to a professional grading service? Or is this really just a dud?

The specifications: 1967 Roosevelt dime, weighing 1.5 grams. It is a little smaller across and perhaps a tad bit thinner than a normal dime. I think this is because it is missing the rim. It is perfectly round. The reeding is on the inner material, and there is none on the slight over-hang of clading on the outside. This makes creating contrast for good pictures difficult, but the reeding itself, though a little damaged in places, is very straight and regular. The black spots and lines on the coin are not holes, just tarnish and gunk that I hadn't cleaned off when the photos were taken.

Okay, guys! Let me have it! Faked, damaged, or real error? (pictures attached)

dimeobverse.jpg

dimeedge.jpg

I think we can rule out the possibility of a counterfeit, since it just isn't worth the time to counterfeit such a small denomination of currency for circulation (which is where this coin ended up), and it doesn't look like this is trying to copy any famous errors.

Based on the overall wear on the coin, and the uneven edges, I'd venture to agree with your coin expert. This coin probably just saw some heavy wear. I found a dime similar to this one once, but it was at the beach and had been heavily corroded by an unknown period of exposure to ocean water. Considering that your coin was tarnished so darkly that you had to clean it to see the date, your dime proably met a similar fate.