CoinPeople.com

Ted Kennedy has died -- half dollar changes?

Art

As you know by now Ted Kennedy died last night. It's all over the national news this morning about is career and how he was "the greatest Senator who ever lived". I can see a frenzy in Congress for a commemorative circulating coin to begin next year. What's available? The half dollar, of course. Continue the Kennedy Half Legacy.

I predict a new design for the Kennedy Half that will have John, Bobby, and Teddy on the obv and the Capital on the reverse. Remember, you heard it here first.

First off, I want to say that I was born 22 years after JFKJr was assassinated, but I understand and appreciate the impact of that family. Teddy has had the spotlight on him more and more over the last few years, first with the Obama endorsement and campaign, and second with the tragic cancer battle. I've seen a lot of aspects of him I admire.

It's also unfortunate that his sister, Eunice, passed away recently. Who is left?

As for a coin, I don't think a coin with those three brothers on the obverse would be good looking. To be honest, they look too much alike. It would just look awkward. Have siblings or father/sons or mothers/daughters ever been on a coin together?

I don't think that there will be much interest in putting actual people (living or deceased) on circulating coinage should we ever again change the designs from what we have now, but I think that Art's prediction of three on one piece might be used on a medal or commemorative produced by the mint.

I think having Liberty returned to our coinage would be an insult to Liberty, she doesn't live here anymore! As for the idiot Kennedy clan, why don't we have the three brothers on the obverse and Papa Joe and his old pal Adolf on the reverse? I have no use for anyone in that family, and from what I've read, about half the country felt the same way about JFK until he was assassinated. I say good riddance, but knowing the idiots in Washinton loving to celebrate their own slimy family, I wouldn't doubt we'd see something crazy on the coinage front.

icon_barf.gif

I could agree with getting rid of most politicians on coins.

We made a coin with John Tyler on it this year. He is the only president to be officially labled a traitor by many historians since he went into the CSA congress and fought against the union. (Now I am not actually debating the civil war or whether he is a traitor but pointing this out just like I am not getting political with Teddy just pointing out we are starting to get absurd with the Politician worship)

Thanks for the vomiticon! I've seen on other sites but not here!

Ciao,

AWACS

With replies like that I'd agree, back to the top!

Do you have a view on the current aspect of US coin design and whether Senators or even dead Presidents deserve to featured? Please help us take the thread somewhere...

Ciao,

AWACS

I am not against our elected leaders being on coins. The pres dollars will ensure they are all remembered. Everyone is human and everyone has flaws...you will never find a perfect person...I believe our founding fathers were great men even with all those flaws and certainly I have no problems with them being on coins. These men all make up the history of the US, for good or bad. For anyone who thinks they did not want to ever be on coins, well...it happened very early on that George Washington's mug was plastered all over medals and some coins and I have no problem with that. I cannot think of a better person than a man who was offered such power and willingly limited it...a lesson that I believe we have started to forget.

If we do not have them on our coins, lets try something new, lets not just slide back to yet another rendition of the personification of liberty, to me that concept is not in ANY way unique to America, just a hold over from Europe....and IMO a bit repetitive and boring. My favorite US coins, and the most unique IMO, have Indians on them anyway :ninja:

As for Edward Kennedy -- RIP (but no coin)

I believe that the worship of the Kennedy clan is a bit more of a generational thing. People like myself that were born after he was killed have a different picture, ie all the scandals etc. that were not publicised during his life. I remember my mother thought very well of Kennedy and we didn't agree on whether he was a good president, I believe he was charismatic(like Bill Clinton) but he also had very disturbing personal issues especially with women that were not publicised during his lifetime.

That said, politicians do not need to be on our coins as idolatry, only Miss Liberty and the ideals of liberty belong on coinage. Miss Liberty represents an aspiration for the ideals of freedom of thought, worship, and the pursuit of happiness.

Are you american? Just wondering with identifying yourself with scottish and living in the Ukraine....like I said, Liberty is great and certainly I think the concept needs to remain on the coins, if not just in word form, but if I see another coin trying to personify liberty I am going to puke. This concept is as old as the Roman Republic and certainly the US has shown in the past it can be original on its coins, with original american iconography...I hope they go this route but to be honest...modern coins are nothing more than cheap tokens, they look cheap, they are cheap, and they do not inspire me to collect them.

• 1 month later...

If they do it, they will have to use a portrait of the man as a young guy, otherwise it won't fit on the coin! Did you see the size of that guy grow in his last 10 years?

My sincere apologies to anyone who thinks I'm being a bit disrespectful, but come on, would we call this the Chapaquitic (sp?) commerative half? :ninja:

Wow! How have I not seen this thread before now?

I say we put Liberty, eagles, bells, wheat, indians and NO MORE DEAD PEOPLE on our coins!!

The Fender Telecaster has done more for our country than William Henry Harrison and I would never seriously think of putting one on an American coin.

Wow! How have I not seen this thread before now?

I say we put Liberty, eagles, bells, wheat, indians and NO MORE DEAD PEOPLE on our coins!!

The Fender Telecaster has done more for our country than William Henry Harrison and I would never seriously think of putting one on an American coin.

:ninja:

If we do not have them on our coins, lets try something new, lets not just slide back to yet another rendition of the personification of liberty, to me that concept is not in ANY way unique to America, just a hold over from Europe....and IMO a bit repetitive and boring. My favorite US coins, and the most unique IMO, have Indians on them anyway :ninja:

As I recall, there has been only three true Indians on any regularly circulating American coin, those were the nickel from 1913-38, the half and quarter eagle from 1908-29, and the Sacagawea dollar from 2000-date, the remaining "Indians" were actually just another rendition of the personification of Liberty, including the cent, gold dollar, three dollar gold, and gold eagle.

As I recall, there has been only three true Indians on any regularly circulating American coin, those were the nickel from 1913-38, the half and quarter eagle from 1908-29, and the Sacagawea dollar from 2000-date, the remaining "Indians" were actually just another rendition of the personification of Liberty, including the cent, gold dollar, three dollar gold, and gold eagle.

The "Indian" on the cent was James Longacre's daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

Congress is too busy with health legislation right now. BUT I'm guessing they'll make a Ted Kennedy memorial thing happen around the end of the session. I'm wondering if President Obama is going to keep them in session as the holidays approach if the Health Care package hasn't passed?

He was from the Wannabee tribe.

I thought it was the Slapaho tribe. After some meetings in DC today I went by the Library of COngress and Teddy books were on display in the gift shop...that is about as far as it should go right now IMO.

Ciao,

FH

Archived