CoinPeople.com

Charring Cross collectors fair vs. London Coin Fair

stfp

Hello,

My name is Stefan and I'm from Bucharest, Romania. I do collect 'junk' modern world coins and banknotes - the ones which you'll find in the large bins at 50p or 1pound each.

During last May I was in London where I visited the Charring Cross Collector's Fair, the one held in that underground parking lot close to the Embankment underground station. There were maybe 30 sellers there, out of which maybe 15 dealt in coins/notes and 10 having bins of coins for sale... some for 40p, some for 50p, some for a pound and so on. People were polite, I was polite too, I got some discounts for buying in quantity (several tens of coins) and I was happy with the fair.

Now I'm considering making another trip to London just for buying coins - I have friends there so accommodation is free and low-cost flights cost less than 50 pounds round-trip, all taxes included. I need some help in order to choose which fair to attend - either the weekly Charring Cross one or the next London Coin Fair, to be held on November 7th. I've read on the London Coin Fair website that there are some 65 dealers present there, so much more than the Charring Cross fair, but how many of them are also having bins of junk coins? Because if London Coin Fair is more geared towards the higher end of the spectrum (valuable or uncommon coins) then it's not for me!

So my question is: For someone which is looking for junk modern world coins, which one is the fair to attend? The weekly Charring Cross one or the London Coin Fair?

Thank you,

Stefan

Stefan,

For low cost modern coins I'd strongly recommend you do not attend the London Coin Fair.

I collect Medieval pennies and always go to the London Coin Fair because I can acquire examples from dealers but these are expensive coins. I have never been to the Charing Cross one because it is mainly world accumulations. You will be lucky to find many coins at the London Coin Fair for less than £50.

To exhibit at the London Coin Fair is expensive because of the venue and security. This means that dealers can sell coins that are priced in excess of the £1000 boundary. At the Charing Cross one there is limited security and it is inexpensive to set up a stall so you tend to get the lower ends of the market in terms of value.

There are a few "junk bins" at the London Coin Fair but we are only talking about two tables out of about one hundred. You will probably like looking around the LCF but I doubt that you will purchase anything.

Kindest Regards,

Clive.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey YeOlde - your Inbox is full, you might want to flush it as I can't send you my message :ninja:

So here it is!

Someone just offered me 35.00 GBP as a buy-it-now for this coin, which seems a lot!

Well they even seem like they might be genuine from the conversation I am having, so the question is - is this coin really anything special? How much would you give for it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Thanks - Matt ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived