CoinPeople.com

Found While Medal Hunting, Just had To Post.

constanius

Thought you Brits would get a laugh out of this.

You just have to read carefully. Especially the name of the company, you could not make this up.

IMG_2603.jpg

Even funnier that it came off a shipwreck in Canada from a British built ship called Beaver( which is a canadian euphimism for......)

:ninja:;) ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D :D :wub:

Absolutely brilliant Constanius! Although, they have spelt Yorkshire wrong... Did you purchase this? It's an absolute gem of Victorian advertising!!

Absolutely brilliant Constanius! Although, they have spelt Yorkshire wrong... Did you purchase this? It's an absolute gem of Victorian advertising!!

Glad you enjoyed it Clive. I brought it at an antique-fair near Toronto for $25 canadian approx 13 GBP. It is brass 5 inches square and I did not even realize how funny the wording was till later on, 'The Victorian Screw Company, etc. I had spotted the 'Yorkhire' glad you found it too, you have sharp eyes my friend. I also posted it under exonumia but don't know how many will get the joke.

Glad you enjoyed it Clive. I brought it at an antique-fair near Toronto for $25 canadian approx 13 GBP. It is brass 5 inches square and I did not even realize how funny the wording was till later on, 'The Victorian Screw Company, etc.

It's brilliant because it's not even subtle in any sense. You got yourself a bargain there methinks! Well done on acquiring something which is certainly a conversation piece. :ninja:

I had spotted the 'Yorkhire' glad you found it too, you have sharp eyes my friend.

One has to when deciphering obscure hammered coins ;)

LINK As you can see by this link the ship changed hands in 1874, and she was refitted hence the date on the plaque of 1873 which was from, I believe, a pump.

"She was purchased by a consortium that became the British Columbia Towing and Transportation Company in 1874[1] and was used as a towboat until 25 July 1888 when, due to an inebriated crew, she went aground on rocks at Prospect Point in Vancouver's Stanley Park. The wreck finally sank in July 1892 from the wake of the passing steamer Yosemite, and only after enterprising locals had stripped much of the wreck for souvenirs. The Vancouver Maritime Museum houses a collection of Beaver remnants. The site of the sinking has been commemorated with a plaque. Divers surveyed the wreck in the 1960s, but it had mostly disintegrated due to rot and currents"

"Beaver was built in London of British oak, elm, greenheart and teak, and was copper fastened and sheathed. Her length was 101 feet (31 m), and the beam over her paddle boxes was 33 feet (10 m). She was launched in Blackwall, London on 9 May 1835 and left London on 29 August under the command of Captain David Home, and with the company's barque, Columbia, built at the same time and commanded by Captain Darby. Beaver was outfitted as a brig for the passage out, paddles unshipped, and came out via Cape Horn under sail alone. After calling at Juan Fernandez and Honolulu, she arrived off the Columbia River on 18 March 1836 and anchored off Fort Vancouver on 10 April. Here the paddles were shipped and boilers and engines connected"

Archived