CoinPeople.com

large Copper 5 Roubles coin EM 1858

Russ777

Hi this is my first post! :ninja:

I recently purchased a load of old coins and this one was in it.

I knew immediately it was 5 kopek coin as I read Russian

It is in very good condition to some I have seen being sold.

Can anyone give me a rough valuation and detail ie catalogue number please? I think I may have done quite well as the whole box was £13.

I was quite suprised to see a dealer selling one for £100+ on Ebay put of course that may be a rip off!!!

Thanks Russ777

Picture_010.jpg

Picture_011.jpg

Can anyone give me a rough valuation and detail ie catalogue number please? I think I may have done quite well as the whole box was £13.

I was quite suprised to see a dealer selling one for £100+ on Ebay put of course that may be a rip off!!!

Thanks Russ777

welcome on board,

you did very well,

I forgot my last time when I bought so much for very little,

very nice 5 copper kopeks, not rare variant eagle, can cost from $70 up to 120 in my opinion ;)

Hi Russ and I hope you make loads of interesting posts like this one :ninja:

I also read Russian script although I do not have much actual fluency in Russian..

From my book, Guidebook of Russian Coins (1725-1970) by Robert P. Harris - it gives the values $1.50 (Fine) to 3.50 in Extremely Fine - what this translates to now I have no idea! It seems Russian coins would have been great to pick up in the 1970's or earlier, as everything has shot up quite a lot by now. It is valued the same as other coins around it, the mintage given being 19, 560, 640. On the other hand, my book lists an altered design with a value for that year of $7.50 - 15.00 but unfortunately the image is too dark to make out the design differences, so I cannot tell you which one you have .But either way you have a really nice coin!

Thanks Russ777

Ïðèâåò. Îòëè÷íûé ïÿòàê,íå çíàþ êàê ó âàñ òàì ,íî ó íàñ ìîæíî êóïèòü çà 50$

but unfortunately the image is too dark to make out the design differences, so I cannot tell you which one you have

it was said earlier one post above that :

very nice 5 copper kopeks, not rare variant eagle, can cost from $70 up to 120 in my opinion :ninja:

How was I to know the variation was in the eagle? :ninja:

Hi thanks for your help.

I am a little confused are we saying if I have a non-rare variant eagle coin thge value is $70-$120 or if it is the rare variant eagle?

Also where can I see a sample to see if I do have the variant? Someone said $20-$30 which I would say is quite low for a coin of this grade....

On another note. I was in Russia as a student and in a market in Moscow in 1990s when an elderly man with a tin of coins tried to sell them to me. I bought just one fearing they were fakes. I wish I had bought them all as they were all genuine. It cost me just $1 and was a genuine Peter the great small copper coin !!! Will post this to forum one day...

There was also catherine the great, large rectangle coins etc etc. Wish I had bought the lot and helped the $ strapped pensioner.... oh well you cant have regrets. He did say they were catalogued much higher abroad though...

Russ777

How was I to know the variation was in the eagle? :ninja:

if you do a little research, also with better reference than Harris:

this one is with rare eagle - check if you see a difference !

http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin2/cat_view.cgi?id=3965

;);)

On another note. I was in Russia as a student and in a market in Moscow in 1990s when an elderly man with a tin of coins tried to sell them to me. I bought just one fearing they were fakes. I wish I had bought them all as they were all genuine. It cost me just $1 and was a genuine Peter the great small copper coin !!! Will post this to forum one day...

There was also catherine the great, large rectangle coins etc etc. Wish I had bought the lot and helped the $ strapped pensioner.... oh well you cant have regrets. He did say they were catalogued much higher abroad though...

Russ777

Do not have regrets. I am 100% sure the rectangular coins were fakes. And those are the ones he would charge you more than $1.

Archived