CoinPeople.com

1820 Sovereign in rough shape

KoRnholio

I know someone who is looking to sell this coin to me. I am totally unfamiliar with this type, the only sovereigns I own are two of Edward VII's. Does it look legitimate? It is so worn and banged up that I am having a hard time comparing it to pictures of real pieces.

If it is legit, does it have any intrinsic value above the melt price? I highly doubt it, although I see in my book that there are some rare varieties of this date.

1820%20obv.JPG

1820%20rev.JPG

Impossible to tell which variety, even if it had been - hence, why question its value as a possible rare variety...try to get it for less than melt, as he wouldn't get melt from a jeweler. Is it he who want to sell you that coin or is it you asking your friend? Methinks you should go to an auction and get one :ninja:

From the photo the reverse appears to be incuse. Perhaps it's a jewelry piece that was made from a coin impression.

Impossible to tell which variety, even if it had been - hence, why question its value as a possible rare variety...try to get it for less than melt, as he wouldn't get melt from a jeweler. Is it he who want to sell you that coin or is it you asking your friend? Methinks you should go to an auction and get one :ninja:

I figure it didn't hurt to ask you guys, who have infinitely more experience with British coins than I.

They are looking to sell. I wouldn't seek out such an ugly piece to buy when for 1.5-2x melt I could get a rather decent one. But if I can get it a decent amount below melt, any profits I make from selling it near melt will go towards a nicer coin. I'm still on the lookout for a nice George IV half crown and a Gothic florin ;)

From the photo the reverse appears to be incuse. Perhaps it's a jewelry piece that was made from a coin impression.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I don't think it's incuse, but I haven't seen it in hand yet. I will keep it in mind when I do. Are jewelry pieces made from coin impressions a common thing? From what I've seen, it seems most jewelry pieces like this are just worn down genuine coins linked to a chain with a bezel.

Archived