CoinPeople.com

Trial strike 5 kopecks 180* (1803)???

badger

Hello everybody,

I have just seen this coin for sale on an ebay-like site. The seller claims it's an original trial strike from 1803 -which I have never heard about. 52 grams, 42mm, 5 mm thick. His lowest price is $ 160 which would be too high for a fake...Could anyone help me? aaa1.jpg aa2.jpg

Hi and welcome to coinpeople, badger :ninja:

Regarding about the coin, for 160 dollars, it's clearly way too cheap for a genuine - if it happened to be a trial coin, there should be at least another zero to the figure you mentioned.

It's clear from the design that it's a crude counterfeit. If you do have that amount of money to spend, you can first get a good catalog. Here's a list of reference books discussed by members in this forum: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=23104

You might be able to look for some illustrated examples online but I am not able to find any at the moment. Once again, welcome to coinpeople and hope you enjoy your time here. ;)

Hello everybody,

I have just seen this coin for sale on an ebay-like site. The seller claims it's an original trial strike from 1803 -which I have never heard about. 52 grams, 42mm, 5 mm thick. His lowest price is $ 160 which would be too high for a fake...Could anyone help me? aaa1.jpg aa2.jpg

Hi badger, the color is totally abnormal, this is the ugliest coin of that type I have ever seen. A trial die would have been executed much more carefully.

As a general rule: Rare coins are detected (and put aside) early. They don't get that worn. KEEP AWAY!! :ninja: Sigi

Hi badger, the color is totally abnormal, this is the ugliest coin of that type I have ever seen. A trial would have been executed more carefully.

As a general rule: Rare coins are detected (and put aside) early. They don't get that worn. KEEP AWAY!! :ninja: Sigi

Hi and welcome to coinpeople, badger :ninja:

Regarding about the coin, for 160 dollars, it's clearly way too cheap for a genuine - if it happened to be a trial coin, there should be at least another zero to the figure you mentioned.

It's clear from the design that it's a crude counterfeit. If you do have that amount of money to spend, you can first get a good catalog. Here's a list of reference books discussed by members in this forum: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=23104

You might be able to look for some illustrated examples online but I am not able to find any at the moment. Once again, welcome to coinpeople and hope you enjoy your time here. ;)

Hi & thaks for the friendly welcome, gxseries,

To be sincere, I collect coins almost exclusively of my country. What basics I know about Russian coins are mostly from the Krause World Catalog. But I quite often meet valuable??? Russian coins in my hunt for my favourites. In this case I also felt a genuine trial strike would be worth a lot more, so - either cheating/ignorance on the seller's part or a great bargain.

Thank You so much!

Hi badger, the color is totally abnormal, this is the ugliest coin of that type I have ever seen. A trial die would have been executed much more carefully.

Thank You, sigistenz,

I do not intend to buy it any more and am really grateful for that advice! But as for the colors, I also used the auto-correction function to make detailes more visible when I had to minimize the pictures for this site, and this may have been a mistake.

Here's the "original", only minimized 1st picture again. Greetings, badgeraaa4.jpg

Thank You, sigistenz,

I do not intend to buy it any more and am really grateful for that advice! But as for the colors, I also used the auto-correction function to make detailes more visible when I had to minimize the pictures for this site, and this may have been a mistake.

Here's the "original", only minimized 1st picture again. Greetings, badgeraaa4.jpg

Here is a link to a real one.

Hello everybody,

from 1803 -which I have never heard about...Could anyone help me?

simple comparasion with originals can allow you to realize that a coin what you asking for is a modern fake..

4 original pieces you can see here http://www.coinarchives.com/w/results.php?...amp;results=100

Archived