CoinPeople.com

Do you collect US commemoratives?

Tiffibunny

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with stu62, there. If it doesn't circulate, I can't bring myself to count it as coinage--as far as I'm concerned, it's a medallion, or bullion, and of no particular interest.

My former roommate, on the other hand, has fallen hard for SAEs. I just can't get excited over them--I love the Walker design, but the reverse is just awful.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I like the commemoratives - modern as well as old. They're quite a financial challange to collect so I leave it as "liking" them.

Back in May, I was lucky to win these from the Stack's auction of coins from the C. B. Slade Estate (lots 2282 and 2285 -- both are in PCGS holders graded MS-66):

USA_Texas_50c_Commem_1935_D_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Texas_50c_Commem_1935_D_rev.thumb.jpg

USA_Texas_50c_Commem_1936_D_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Texas_50c_Commem_1936_D_rev.thumb.jpg

These are the auction pictures from Stack's, not my own -- I had the coins delivered to my Mom's address in the USA to save on postage and VAT taxes to Switzerland, where I live. I go back about 1-2 times per year on the average, usually to see my Mom on her birthday (she just turned 88 :art:), and on each return trip, I take up to $300 worth of coins with me because that is the limit allowed for Swiss residents before they charge 7.6% VAT when entering the country. :(

I'll be posting pictures of the coins I DID bring back with me soon!

I do collect them but they are a tertiary series for me. I started a "Post US Commems in order" thread a few month ago but it's very hard to keep that going without a Red Book and discipline!