CoinPeople.com

Do you collect US commemoratives?

Tiffibunny

Hi Uncle,

Booker T Washington, GW Carver, Monroe and Stone Mtn are among  the less expensive classic commems can pick them up for under $50- 1st two are less than columbian expo.  Monroe not much more. 

Don

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not always so.  Columbians are the cheapest and the ones most likely to turn up in circulated condition.  Stoney's are hard to find for under $50 in MS and Monroes in MS are as well.  Officially counterstamped stonies are worth hundreds in MS.    I like the reverse on the Monroe doctrine half.

I have the 1986 and 1987 Prestige Proof Sets and so have those commemorative coins.  I started collecting last year so I purchased both of the commemorative coins from last year and will continue to collect them.

As a 6th generation Texan, I have a soft spot for the Texas Centennial halves; however, I like the Monroe Half a lot due to the innovative design on the reverse.  The two women who form the North and South American continents is a fine design.  Curiously, it is not original with that half.  The same design was used on the reverse of the Pan American Fair of 1901's medal... The Pan American Fair where McKinnley was shot in in 1901...

Wow, 3 pages already.  I bet you have all been waiting with bated breath for me to jump in and complain that commemoratives aren't coins.  Well, they aren't. :wink:  :ninja:

Now that that is over...I have a semi confession to make.  Although I don't collect US commems my wife seems to think that I do.  She bought me a Texas for Christmas one year and I made a fuss over it.  Hey, small thing to do in order to keep the peace.

WRONG!!  Ever since every birthday, every aniversary, every Christmas I get a new commemorative. ;)  Actually, she has done a good job picking them out.  I wish I knew her dealer.

Anyway, here is the one that started it all...Leave it to a Texan to not know what side of the coin the eagle goes on. :wink:

texas35o.jpgtexas35r.jpg