CoinPeople.com

Planchet Error...Value?

It looks pretty gnarled. Almost like it was ground down or punched through a tooling plate used in most metal shops; do you have better photos?

No..best pics I have. The brown on there looks like rusting. If you click on the pic you get a bigger image... I'll try just attaching it. It definitely wasn't done through any machine...as you can see by the backside, the lettering is even almost gone and this is a scanned image so any scratches would be visible.

planchet.jpg

I should add that my mother in law is the one who gave me this coin and she got it when it was new. She says she asked about it at a bank and they wanted to take it from her and told her it wasn't worth anything but obviously now we know it's because it is worth something lol

Well it could be an unusual planchet clipping, but I don't really know. Is it the size of a Canadian cent? If so it is unusual that it is not an off-metal striking. Could you take a clear photo of the rim on the side where the design is missing?

It doesn't look right to me. What is the thickness of this coin compared to that of a regular nickel and a Canadian dime? I am guessing it will be the same as a regular nickel, and the edge has just been ground down to appear the planchet was smaller than it should be.

I'll try to add a pic of the side...somehow lol. I'm thinking it's either a dime or penny planchet? Hmm. If I remember correctly (the coin isn't in front of at the moment) it had partial and very faded reeding (I think that's what it's called) on one part of the edge. I'll see what I can do.

If it's legit and graded by a third party (I'd recommend ICCS for Canadian coins) then probably $250-400 would be my guess. The RCM has a very low tolerance for errors of all kinds in their coins, very few get out, so the ones that do are highly sought after.

Archived