CoinPeople.com

Stack's store cards

968883.jpg

Bronze store card celebrating the 50th anniversary of Stack's New York auction house. The obverse was struck from a transfer die made from the original Washington & Independence dies of 1818-1820. The original dies were donated to the Smithsonian after the transfer dies were made. The token was struck in 1988 by the Medallic Art Co. Rulau and Fuld catalog the piece as Baker 3X.

968889.jpg

Stack's aluminum store card struck for the 1939 World's Fair. Struck by the Osborne Coinage Co. in Cincinnati.

Baker 737

968883.jpg

Bronze store card celebrating the 50th anniversary of Stack's New York auction house. The obverse was struck from a transfer die made from the original Washington & Independence dies of 1818-1820. The original dies were donated to the Smithsonian after the transfer dies were made. The token was struck in 1988 by the Medallic Art Co. Rulau and Fuld catalog the piece as Baker 3X.

Is "The token was struck in 1988" a typo? as the token is dated 1935-1985. Seems strange that their 50th anniversary token would be struck 3 years after the event!

Nice tokens Bill.

Not a typo, thats what Rulau and Fuld say. It could be a typo in the catalog, then again it could be that they made the transfer die in 1985 and didn't actually get the token struck until 1988. Good question.

• 3 weeks later...
Stack's aluminum store card struck for the 1939 World's Fair. Struck by the Osborne Coinage Co. in Cincinnati.

Baker 737

I've got one of those. I've also got a bunch of contemporary numismatic-themed storecards, mostly minted by the Patrick Mint.

In the late 1970's and early 1980's I used to work at a recording studio (MediaSound) on 57th Street and 8th Avenue, and I made it a point to walk two blocks east and check Stack's window display on a daily basis during my lunch break. What I saw was always amazing, and if I had worked some overtime I would try and spend the extra money there.

Usually though I encountered older women in fur coats quickly disposing of their deceased husbands coin collections and the Stack's staff always seemed busy attending to them.

I admit I felt more comfortable in the Macy's coin department. No rush, no crowds, and my money was always welcome.

In the late 1970's and early 1980's I used to work at a recording studio (MediaSound) on 57th Street and 8th Avenue, and I made it a point to walk two blocks east and check Stack's window display on a daily basis during my lunch break. What I saw was always amazing, and if I had worked some overtime I would try and spend the extra money there.

Usually though I encountered older women in fur coats quickly disposing of their deceased husbands coin collections and the Stack's staff always seemed busy attending to them.

I admit I felt more comfortable in the Macy's coin department. No rush, no crowds, and my money was always welcome.

Macy's had a coin department? How did it compare to a a traditional coin store?

Macy's had a small coin department on the 8th or 9th floor of their main store in NYC.

They had everything that a "normal" coin shop had with a few hundred coins under a long glass counter. There was one salesman.

It was very hard to find, you had to walk past acres of Persian rugs to get to it as I recall. I believe I found it by accident when shopping for pants one day.

It was a good day... :ninja:

It was very hard to find, you had to walk past acres of Persian rugs to get to it as I recall. I believe I found it by accident when shopping for pants one day.

It was a good day... ;)

:ninja:

I cannot remember the last time I ventured into a coin shop... ;)

Archived