CoinPeople.com

I really like the last one --if that's the "Lamb lf God" it's the most schematic representation I've seen! I wish we could see the whole inscription around the edge... It doesn't look like CIVITAS ROTHOMAGENSIS (for Rouen), which is what I've seen on these type before. Any ideas, anyone?

Looking in Feuardent [link] I think this jeton is from Berry, the inscription being somewhat close to MOVTON SVIS DE BARII ... Many variations from F 9382 to F 9414.

I suspect the "Lamb of God" or mouton jeton dates from Jean II or 1350-1364 although I don't see an exact duplicate in the references I have. The one above it is a Venus jeton, I believe from Nuremberg. They are cataloged in Mitchiner I (I only have Vol. II), pages 256-270.

The place to find reference for these early jetons is cgb.fr. Their catalogue `Jetons XX' is the best publicly accessible reference web site for this type I know of. I've got a hard copy of that catalogue and will look these up for you sometime over the weekend if you can't access it onsite for any reason.

The place to find reference for these early jetons is cgb.fr. Their catalogue `Jetons XX' is the best publicly accessible reference web site for this type I know of. I've got a hard copy of that catalogue and will look these up for you sometime over the weekend if you can't access it onsite for any reason.

OK :ninja: , can't find it...!

Ah.. mon 'de la venus', je pense!..

http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/jetons/j20/gb/m...&nbfic=1000

What I like about some of these Venus pennies is their "légende fictive" --i.e., nonsense lettering around the rim, and the various slap-hazard representations of the arms of Philippe le Beau; the link Matt gives says "écu dégénéré"... :ninja:

Archived