CoinPeople.com

Acetone Cleaning -- Your thoughts?

andrewmoquin

A few days ago, I was at the bank, and the teller two 1964 Kennedy Halves, and one 1965 Half. Of course I snagged them for $1.50.

However, they were quite dirty. Figuring that since they were circulation finds, I would do something to clean them up. While I know cleaning collectible coins is a big no-no, I had a little experiment. I gave the three coins an acetone bath (just normal nail polish remover) for about 10-20 mins, then wiped them off with an old cotton sock. You should have seen the brown smears on the sock when i was done, but the coins looked a heck of a lot cleaner.

Since it worked so well, I was wondering what kind of damage it would do to an actual collectible coin?

Any thoughts on using acetone to clean coins?

splash_commem_coin_stack.png

As long as the coins are just worth the bullion value (like circulated 1960's coinage), cleaning them doesn't really matter. Most people would prefer shiny looking silver to dull, even if that means cleaned.

I wouldn't use it on anything of collectible value though. It is pretty tough stuff and if there is any mint lustre left on the coin, it would probably remove it along with any dirt or tarnish/toning.

Finger nail polish remover will have other things in it. Use "pure" acetone (As pure as possible, such as found at hardware stores.) It will only affect any organics on the coin. (Oils, grease, etc.) Just use outside with the wind to your back and try to keep from skin contact. Just soak or rinse with it. Don't use anything to scrub or rub with. Any form of rubbing on a coin is the real problem. You can easily turn up with hairline scratches. I have seen a couple examples of modern proofs that were rubbed and the hairlines did show.

• 1 month later...

As already noted Finger Nail Polish Remover is not pure Acetone. Read the lables. And note that different brands contain different materials. Some are actually harmfull to coins or any metals. Some may contain warnings to not allow this substance to contact metals. The other substances may well add corrosions to coins.

Also, never wipe any valuable coin with even cotton swabs. You would be amazed at how delicate the serface of some coins are.

On this or most coin forum web sites the usage of Acetone is usually well covered. Not sure if here there is a search thing but for the usage and dangers of Acetone, also try Google. Heed the warnings about the usage of Acetone as an extreamely flamable substance.

Actually, you can briefly dip silver coins in acetone (as long as it is pure acetone, not fingernail polish remover, etc.) and they won't be harmed at all. "Brief" would be something like a minute or two. However, to repeat what someone else has already said, acetone will only remove organic material. It will not remove corrosion or other environmentally-related things (patina, for example).

Where you need to watch out with acetone is with copper coins. Copper reacts adversely with acetone in the presence of water and light. IOW, do it in the dark, or be very careful that the coin is completely dry when you dip it in acetone.

To repeat the mantra, you really shouldn't clean coins at all if there is no compelling reason to do so. What is a "compelling reason"? The only one I can think of is that you have a coin which has already been messed with, and you can't hurt it any more than it already has been hurt. By all means, refrain from any kind of rubbing a coin.

As already noted Finger Nail Polish Remover is not pure Acetone. Read the lables. And note that different brands contain different materials. Some are actually harmfull to coins or any metals. Some may contain warnings to not allow this substance to contact metals. The other substances may well add corrosions to coins.

Also, never wipe any valuable coin with even cotton swabs. You would be amazed at how delicate the serface of some coins are.

On this or most coin forum web sites the usage of Acetone is usually well covered. Not sure if here there is a search thing but for the usage and dangers of Acetone, also try Google. Heed the warnings about the usage of Acetone as an extreamely flamable substance.

Which is why I don't like to keep any acetone in the house except in minute quantities. Since they tend to sell the stuff only by the pint or 1/2 gallon canister at hardware stores in the USA, I would try getting a little 150ml bottle of medicinally pure acetone from your local apothecary (pharmacy for U.S. folks). That's what I do here in Zurich.

(NOTE: Please DO NOT attempt to board an airplane, or even go through security, with this ... it is a "prohibited substance" in any quantity).

I asked my parents for acetone and they recommended to me - NAIL POLISH REMOVER!!

Needless to say, they looked at me angrily when I told them it just won't do. I am stupid, according to my oldies... ;)

Yep I ruined a copper later that day. ;):ninja:

Why not print out this thread for them to read, or let them read it on screen?

Heed the warnings about the usage of Acetone as an extreamely flamable substance.

This is true! The stuff burns with out flame.

Now I think that on some coins, acetone wouldn't hurt, like on brown circulated mecury dimes, but I would never use it on a coin of any value. If the coin has any value take it to sombody else; such as a dealer or NCS.

Actually, you can briefly dip silver coins in acetone (as long as it is pure acetone, not fingernail polish remover, etc.) and they won't be harmed at all. "Brief" would be something like a minute or two. However, to repeat what someone else has already said, acetone will only remove organic material. It will not remove corrosion or other environmentally-related things (patina, for example).

Where you need to watch out with acetone is with copper coins. Copper reacts adversely with acetone in the presence of water and light. IOW, do it in the dark, or be very careful that the coin is completely dry when you dip it in acetone.

Dipping any coin in Acetone without extensive research should never be attempted. Note above it says Brief dip, however, this statement omits the numerous problems and precautions that should be taken when using any dangerous and combustable solutions or substances. Dip in what? Using what to dip? Type of vessel to be used? Ventilation? Location of the dipping?

Acetone, and many other combustable materials should only be used in areas and by people that are aware of all the possible dangers.

Prior to such usage I suggest the looking up of the ATSDR on line. This is the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disesase Registry. A government agency that explains most of the dangers of Acetone not usually mentioned on a coin forum web site.

AND as to Acetone on Copper Coins. That is what is usually refered to as an old wives tale. Pardon if there are any old wives reading but that is an expression from the old days.

I presently have 10 Copper Cents in a jar of Acetone that have been there now for several weeks. They have been in the Sun, shade, heat and almost everywhere around my garage and yard. Nothing has happened to them at all. Not an experiment. I just put them there to clean them and forgot to take them out. Keep moving them around and some day I will take them out. The first time I heard that story about Acetone and Copper I placed Copper, Silver, Clad coins or several denominations in a glass jar with Acetone. In the Sun for several days, in the dark for several more, back to the Sun for a while and the end results were the Roosevelt Dime did look cleaner. Nothing else happened.

AND as to Acetone on Copper Coins. That is what is usually refered to as an old wives tale.

Well, if your coins were completely dry when you put them in to soak, then it should be OK. Note that there are TWO preconditions for the reaction: water and light.

I have a link to a chemistry site somewhere in a previous post I made on this topic here on the forum -- maybe someone else will find it before I do, and if so, please feel free to quote it here. In the meantime, I'll try to hunt it up.

Well, if your coins were completely dry when you put them in to soak, then it should be OK. Note that there are TWO preconditions for the reaction: water and light.

I have a link to a chemistry site somewhere in a previous post I made on this topic here on the forum -- maybe someone else will find it before I do, and if so, please feel free to quote it here. In the meantime, I'll try to hunt it up.

I've read that silly post. And as an ex-Chemistry professor in a Junior College every time I read something like that I experiment to see if there is any possible truth to those statements. As I mentioned I've tried that silly one many times and so far nothing has ever happened to the coins. In the past I've mixed tap water, distilled water, Actone, placed in the Sun, dark, cold and just about anywhere and everywhere under numerous conditions and so far nothing.

Try to remember that on the internet there are extensively erroneous statements and why, I'll just never know. Possibly the same reason people just do odd things.

• 2 weeks later...
I've read that silly post. And as an ex-Chemistry professor in a Junior College every time I read something like that I experiment to see if there is any possible truth to those statements. As I mentioned I've tried that silly one many times and so far nothing has ever happened to the coins. In the past I've mixed tap water, distilled water, Actone, placed in the Sun, dark, cold and just about anywhere and everywhere under numerous conditions and so far nothing.

Try to remember that on the internet there are extensively erroneous statements and why, I'll just never know. Possibly the same reason people just do odd things.

Here is the link to that article. As I mentioned in the thread about "olive oil cleaning", I am not a chemist, so I will leave it to those who know more about the subject than I to sort this out:

Copper and acetone reaction

Here is the link to that article. As I mentioned in the thread about "olive oil cleaning", I am not a chemist, so I will leave it to those who know more about the subject than I to sort this out:

Copper and acetone reaction

As I noted I've read that article and attempted to either prove or disprove the possibilities. Note for example their usage of Copper Foil, not a Copper coin. Also, the purity of the Copper Foil was not discussed not the type and proportions of moisture in the solutions not the exact amount of light required. As a chemist I find all those and many more statistics important. I've been trying all possible varieties of that situation for some time now and I would assume I need the same Sun they used.

• 10 years later...

Just want to add one problem with the whole it is OK to clean a little or never --- from seeing what some coin dealers do to improve a coin (remove dirt, PVC damage, fingerprints) and then get away with it, I think the playing field is unfairly tilted to dealers who figure ways to clean a coin to improve its grade with hardly any notice. Even the grading agencies can miss a cleaned coin if done very gingerly and well enough to not make it noticeable.   And often the luster remains again if acetone is used very sparingly, spring water and a pat with cloth towel. 

I agree though to avoid acetone with to proof, enhanced uncirculated modern coins, any key date coins in uncirculated to proof condition before 1965 and anything before 1878. 

The only cleaning I do see done by dealers is  coins damaged by PVC in their holders, typical of coins from 1960's thru 80's. 

So, the adage never clean you coins is not completely true.  But it HOLDS much truth.

only clean the coin if needed, yeah some people do dip the coin but unlucky for them over time the coin will turn and no matter how careful one is there is always leftover chemical film that will turn the coin, i have seen dipped coins that have become ugly over time

to dip a coin to save it yeah i'm for that, but to enhance the coin and later have the coin turn not for that