CoinPeople.com

1899 10ruble counterfeit gold coin

gxseries

Ancient counterfeit coins are also part of numismatics. Exist many counterfeits of roman coins made by barbarians, in most cases more valuables than originals. Then, exists counterfeits of antique greek coins made in Middle Age, and medieval coins counterfeit in 19th century (Romanian Academy has bought some Becker counterfeits of Transylvanian rare coins some years ago!). I have also some 1880-1947 romanians counterfeit coins, very hard to find, and if I found one, I buy it!

Ancient counterfeit coins are also part of numismatics. Exist many counterfeits of roman coins made by barbarians, in most cases more valuables than originals. Then, exists counterfeits of antique greek coins made in Middle Age, and medieval coins counterfeit in 19th century (Romanian Academy has bought some Becker counterfeits of Transylvanian rare coins some years ago!). I have also some 1880-1947 romanians counterfeit coins, very hard to find, and if I found one, I buy it!

I have a counterfeit 1558 Hardhead from Scotland that was likely made by French troops in Scotland during the Reign of Mary, Queen of Scots. A hardhead is a small bronze coin that was worth 1.5 pence. Curiously in Britain, Scotland and England alike, there was never an abundance of small coinage, and thus was borne the necessity of counterfeiting coinage.

When Mary was wed to Francis, the Dauphin of France, French troops were sent to Scotland to secure the situation there because of the unrest from England. Counterfeits began to circulate from many sources, but in the past few years, when the encampments of the French soldiers were excavated, molds were found that matched some known counterfeits.

Counterfeiting was an offence punishable by death, as was so in many places. Coinages in the 16th century were called in periodically so that counterfeits could be accounted for and destroyed. So thus when you do have a contemporary counterfeit nowadays it is very much scarcer than the coin it was intended to imitate.

Counterfeiting in Scotland continued up into the 19th century for small coinage, but was most prevalent during the English Civil War era ca. 1642-1660.

That coin looks too "good" to be a counterfeit from 1800's :ninja: It is most propably a modern copy.

Couterfeiting is illegal, but the author who was in charge of punishing the counterfeiters hasn't been in power since 1917.

Hum, I am actually more interested in the edge design... the seller says that there is proper lettered edge... how proper can that be too... :ninja:

Break the law, buy the coin and you'll compare with a genuine...

Archived