CoinPeople.com

Do I need glasses or Can you see the mark

stupidgirlgenius

Try this. Take your camera out side and try a shot from about 8-10 inches away in sunlight. Play around with the zoom some take a few shots and take a few different shots from different angles. Can you set the dpi higher? Also you may want to set up a photobucket account.

BTW looking at it again Half Dime?

Try this. Take your camera out side and try a shot from about 8-10 inches away in sunlight. Play around with the zoom some take a few shots and take a few different shots from different angles. Can you set the dpi higher? Also you may want to set up a photobucket account.

BTW looking at it again Half Dime?

Thanks - yes it is a half dime - Its out of a US Type Nickle Set that was from my grandfathers collection given to my dad. My dad passed away last month and I recently found them in his saftey deposit box. :ninja:

Appreciate the feedback....

I can see why you would want some confirmation. Just the uniqueness of a 1870 s I would have my doubts. I don't know the series that well so take what I say with a grain of salt. A few other possibilities arise. 1. Someone modified the coin at sometime. (This could have been done a long time back.) 2. Since the photo is not very good I can't count out damage which just looks like an S. 3. I don't know how much swapping of dies were done by the mint at that time. It could be from a polished die sent from the San Francisco Mint to Philadelphia mint. (This is me really stretching here. Like I said I really don't know the series. I do know other coin dies were swapped and polished or remarked from mint to mint. ) There may be other diagnostics someone may be able to help you with. But that would need full pictures of the coin.

One suggestion is going to a local coin shop and see what they say. I know there will have to be a fair amount of trust involved there. You might also check local coin shows. If PCGS, NGC, ANACS grading companies are there one of them could look at it. One of these grading companies since they do not sell coins would not have a biased interest. (Really they would if real. They would jump all over themselves to get it in one of their slabs.)

I can see why you would want some confirmation. Just the uniqueness of a 1870 s I would have my doubts. I don't know the series that well so take what I say with a grain of salt. A few other possibilities arise. 1. Someone modified the coin at sometime. (This could have been done a long time back.) 2. Since the photo is not very good I can't count out damage which just looks like an S. 3. I don't know how much swapping of dies were done by the mint at that time. It could be from a polished die sent from the San Francisco Mint to Philadelphia mint. (This is me really stretching here. Like I said I really don't know the series. I do know other coin dies were swapped and polished or remarked from mint to mint. ) There may be other diagnostics someone may be able to help you with. But that would need full pictures of the coin.

One suggestion is going to a local coin shop and see what they say. I know there will have to be a fair amount of trust involved there. You might also check local coin shows. If PCGS, NGC, ANACS grading companies are there one of them could look at it. One of these grading companies since they do not sell coins would not have a biased interest. (Really they would if real. They would jump all over themselves to get it in one of their slabs.)

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to respond - I did take the it to a local coin shop and they did say that there appeared to be an S but also stated some of what you said as well. The coin does have alot of toning/tarnish on it. I must have been in the right lighting the first time I looked at it because I saw it immediately and asked several others and they also saw it as well. But its such a long shot and getting someone to confirm it may be difficult. I dont really know what the grading companies use or if they have some special way of telling or if it is just a matter of opinion. And, I guess the way I Iook at it is, sometimes hoping is better than knowing. Thanks again, appreciate the feedback....Dawn

• 1 month later...

Archived