• Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

ANNOUNCING

------

CoinPeople Short Snorter 2009 - revisited

------

Post your name here if you want to participate. Pick out a great note and be ready to mail it to me quickly. I'm planning to mail the package of notes to the second signer on July 15,2009. (I know that sounds a long way off but, trust me, in things like this there will still be people who miss the deadline.) All signups done by July 1,2009 and notes for the SS2009 must be in my hands by July 10,2009.

-You supply a note to be signed and returned to you.
    -Your forum name and SS2009 must appear on your note and any protective sleeve you use.
    -Only low value notes allowed. Things do get lost.
    -Each participant agrees to hold the notes for no more than 2 days.
    -Each participant agrees to send the notes to the next person on the list via USPS Priority Mail - Insured (or the European, Canadian, whatever, equivalent)
    -The parcel is to be insured for $50.00 US
    -Participants will post in the tracking thread when they received the notes and when they send them on to the next person
    -Notes may be contained in a protective sleeve.
    -Notes must be a size that allows note and any protective sleeve to fit in a business letter envelope. (#10)
    -Each person is responsible to handle the notes carefully to avoid damage and or loss.

OK enough rules. Let's go. Signup here. I'll PM mailing instructions to those who may need them

We have a project where we create our own "short snorters". CPeeps who want to participate provide a note of their choosing. The notes are gathered and sent to as a group to each participant who then signs each note and passes the package along to the next person on the list. When the last person has signed the notes they return them to me and I distribute them back to their original owners.

There are several threads on the site about them. Images of the snorters from 2006 can be seen at the link below.

CoinPeople 2006 Short Snorter Notes

The 2004 Image library is below. I don't believe we did a Short Snorter in 2005.

CoinPeople 2004 Short Snorter Notes

The 2007 Short Snorter series can be viewed here:

2007 Coin People Short Snorters

This is a World War II Short Snorter that I have in my collection.

3614250646_7d48dc3be6_o.jpg

3614250806_48a874d1a7_o.jpg

This is the blurb that accompanied this note when I purchased it.

Something very different! This is a "short snorter" based upon a Peppiatt 10/- (ten shilling) mauve emergency issue note from the Second World War. "Short Snorters" were begun by American servicemen, some say during the First World War. The idea was that wherever a serviceman went he would get the signatures of colleagues (and often local ladies) upon the local currency. These notes were then taped together end to end and kept upon his person. Then, when a group of soldiers were gathered together in a bar anywhere in the World, someone would shout "Short snorter!" and everyone had to produce their Short Snorters. The guy with the shortest one had to buy a round of drinks. This is the first one I have seen which uses a Peppiatt Mauve Ten Shilling note. It has been signed by two local ladies, Mandy Raymond and Kay Lang, both from London and also by Technical Sergeant James Finlay from Rowonga, which I think is in New Zealand. I wonder what happened to them all? This is a unique piece of the history of WWII. As you can see the note still bears the mark at the right-hand edge where it was taped to the other parts of the Short Snorter. It is not in wonderful shape but it is totally unique

Wow! Let's see it's the 20th of June and I posted this on the 12th of June and so far, it's me and Jeff. I'll only need a very small envelope. Seriously, I don't understand the lack of response. I always thought this was a cool project and produced some really neat keepsakes for CPeeps note collections. What am I missing?

Sorry - I thought those that signed up earlier were still signed up. So sign me up again. :ninja:

Perhaps my confusion is shared by others and that's part of the reason others haven't responded as well? Other than that, I can't think of why no-one else would sign up.... I've noticed that for banknotes, there's seems to be a general lack of interest in these extra fun things - like in the Popular Banknote Contest that never quite got off the ground last year.

C'mon, guys and gals! Sign up and have fun!

I have always participated in the past, but since I am in Ukraine it is a pain to get mail back and forth. Usually I have to wait for someone to come or go, because the mail here is a ship of thieves. I may not be going back to the USA until August or so. I did find some old Soviet era rubles in a market today, for about 50 kopeks each, or about 7 cents. But I could not talk down the Ukrainian commemoratives in silver that I wanted.

Wow! Let's see it's the 20th of June and I posted this on the 12th of June and so far, it's me and Jeff. I'll only need a very small envelope. Seriously, I don't understand the lack of response. I always thought this was a cool project and produced some really neat keepsakes for CPeeps note collections. What am I missing?

$$$ I would rather save the few dollars of stamp money. This economy has made me very stingy!! I didn't use to be this way!

ANNOUNCING

------

CoinPeople Short Snorter 2009 - revisited

------

Post your name here if you want to participate. Pick out a great note and be ready to mail it to me quickly. I'm planning to mail the package of notes to the second signer on July 15,2009. (I know that sounds a long way off but, trust me, in things like this there will still be people who miss the deadline.) All signups done by July 1,2009 and notes for the SS2009 must be in my hands by July 10,2009.

-You supply a note to be signed and returned to you.
    -Your forum name and SS2009 must appear on your note and any protective sleeve you use.
    -Only low value notes allowed. Things do get lost.
    -Each participant agrees to hold the notes for no more than 2 days.
    -Each participant agrees to send the notes to the next person on the list via USPS Priority Mail - Insured (or the European, Canadian, whatever, equivalent)
    -The parcel is to be insured for $50.00 US
    -Participants will post in the tracking thread when they received the notes and when they send them on to the next person
    -Notes may be contained in a protective sleeve.
    -Notes must be a size that allows note and any protective sleeve to fit in a business letter envelope. (#10)
    -Each person is responsible to handle the notes carefully to avoid damage and or loss.

OK enough rules. Let's go. Signup here. I'll PM mailing instructions to those who may need them

June 28,2009 Participants

Art

balak

Dave

JTryka

Marianne

Naidu54@hotmail

sbvenman

Scottishmoney (special case)

sirwilliamofpennylot

Mailing information has been PM'd to all the folks on the list. I'll be including an extra note in the package for Izzy's wife. I think she'd like that because she knows how important this group was to him.

I'd love to do it this year but I am getting married 7/11 and will be out of town until the 20th, is there a way to send it to me later in the line of US residents so I don't hold things up?

If it's not a problem PM me an addy and I will be happy to contribute again.

I'd love to do it this year but I am getting married 7/11 and will be out of town until the 20th, is there a way to send it to me later in the line of US residents so I don't hold things up?

If it's not a problem PM me an addy and I will be happy to contribute again.

PM sent. Congratulations on your wedding. We'll work out the short snorter thingie.

CoinPeople 2009 Participants

Art

balak

Dave

JTryka

Marianne

Naidu54@hotmail

sbvenman

Scottishmoney (special case)

sirwilliamofpennylot

vfox

Just waiting for the notes now. Don't forget to send your mailing information with your note.

• 2 weeks later...

CoinPeople 2009 Participants - Note status

Art - got it

balak - got it

Dave

Izzy - got it

JTryka - got it

LeSnipe - got it

Marianne

Naidu54@hotmail

sbvenman

Scottishmoney - got it

sirwilliamofpennylot

vfox

Not sure Scottishmoney should be in this, unless mailing to Ukraine is an option. Not sure when I am coming back to the USA.

I'll hold your note until you get back. I've done it before and held one CoinPeeps note for almost 2 years.

New arrivals today

CoinPeople 2009 Participants - Note status

Art - got it

balak - got it

Dave - got it

Izzy - got it

JTryka - got it

LeSnipe - got it

Marianne

Naidu54@hotmail

sbvenman

Scottishmoney - got it