CoinPeople.com

The Golden Jubilee of Operation Overlord

In all the war movies I have seen, I have never seen houses on the bluffs of the coast of Normandy.

And we all know that war movies are authentic documents. :ninja: In this case I think that what we see is a (possibly foreshortened) beach, and somewhere "behind" the beach there are houses.

Christian

In all the war movies I have seen, I have never seen houses on the bluffs of the coast of Normandy.

f-dday-584.jpg

Juno beach, the houses were right by the beach and the Germans had incorporated them into the defences, this was one place where the Canadians, part of the British army landed. So the medal is accurate.

sword_beach_materiel_plage.jpg

Sword beach, one of the two beaches the Brits landed on note the houses, this could be the beach on the medal. See link below for more houses right by the shore on Gold beach.

LINK to satellite map of Gold beach

:ninja:

Wow! Thanks Const and Chris for sharing! They would be fascinating backdrops (or features) in a D-Day movie. I always thought Normandy invasion were on beaches backed by grassland for several miles.

• 2 years later...

Medal I recently acquired commemorating the Golden Jubilee of Operation Overlord (the invasion of Northern Europe) 1944-1994. I think she's lovely....

29qcivl.jpg

dzummx.jpg

2jfgnqh.jpg

fwsv9y.jpg

I own a gold version of this coin... it is in a navy blue presentation case marked "Normandy Veterans Association" and was a gift from my grandfather... who took part in the invasion as a sailor in the British Royal Navy...

The only thing that he told me about it when he gave it to me back in 1996(?)... was that it had been given to him because of his participation in the Normandy Campaign...

Can any of you tell me anymore about this coin... the story behind it... and it's rarity and value?

Thank you!

IMG_0772.jpg

Archived