CoinPeople.com

Wondering about suitable books

Andy

Good day all,

I'm new to this forum and am trying to organize my own coin collection, along with my grandfather's many coins. I am wondering if anybody would know the right book(s) to buy in order to assess the value of coins, mostly Canadian, American, British, and fair number of world coins. Any advice would be progress at this stage. thanks :ninja:

Andy

A decent and inexpensive reference for Canadian coin values is the CCN (Canadian Coin News) newspaper, which is publised bi-weekly and costs about $3.50. It won't help you with one of the hardest parts of the equation (grading), but it provides a rough idea of what your coins are worth.

The best reference that I know of for Canadian coins is Charleton's. It's a nice book. Well organized and easy to use.

For World Coins -- there are a number of "Standard Catalog of World Coins" books. Each book covers 100 years. There's also a DVD set available for these catalogs.

Enjoy this great hobby.

For the british coin, one of the spink catalogues would be your best bet:

http://www.coinsofbritain.biz/pages/books/books.shtml

I dont know about books for the rest but I know a decent site for identifying and getting the values of most coins, which u can find at:

http://worldcoingallery.com/index.php

You need to choose the country, identify the coin, write down the km number then find that km number in the "click here for coin values" section

depending on your experience with coins, you might find it difficult as the value of a coin depends on its condition or grade, and accurately assessing the grade is a difficult business which requires quite a bit of experiance.

Your best bet may be to post photos of some of the coins here to get peoples opinions on grades and values, this will give you an idea of grading which you can then use on the other coins. I would be happy to help with some of the British ones.

That world coin gallery site is okay, but keep in mind that it does *not* list prices for most key dates in the series. For instance, they list all the voyageur silver dollars from 1948 to 1952 under the same KM# and say they are worth bullion value in low grades. However, if it's a 1948 silver dollar, you're looking at about 100 times the bullion value for it in any grade...

The Charlton book is good. It has many pictures and helps identify many different varieties.

Archived