CoinPeople.com

why do we collect?

ScottO

instead of discussing the acctual coins, lets discuss us as collectors and why we collect coins and not other things, afterall we have many things to collect.

for me it was finding an old coin once and getting fascinated, tied in with my liking of history, and as i was young and my grandmother had a few hundred old UK coins (most are your generic average condition) few bits are on omni from that, so i had a good base to start off, linked with the fact i was young and as a result had little money, most other things were out of reach (antiques? too much, stamps? cant go back very far). (my best purchases were way back then too edward 1 penny £3, 1858 small date farthing £6 as examples mainly)

that and it is a direct link to the past, you can only imagine what storys coins would tell, did anyone famous spend them, or even a relative? that you cant get with other things you collect, either they were used by 1 person or a few, its that curisiosity that drives me, granted nice mint coins are lovely, but its those neglected worn coins with the storys.

Because an old coin gathers together so many compelling bits of human experience in one small package: nostalgia, history, wealth, art, politics, science, craftsmanship and economy. And, as has already been mentioned, because it engages us in the ancient rituals of getting and selling, with the attendant risks and rewards. Which means in my case that my wife will put her divorce lawyer on speed dial if I spend too much.

Because an old coin gathers together so many compelling bits of human experience in one small package: nostalgia, history, wealth, art, politics, science, craftsmanship and economy. And, as has already been mentioned, because it engages us in the ancient rituals of getting and selling, with all its attendant risks and rewards.

Well said.

Because I'm "completely obsessed with treasure..."

Eye appeal, really, for all of my collections. Stuffed animals because they're cute, Pokemon cards because they're cute and shiny, gemstones and coins because, well, they ARE treasure!

Yep, I bought the doghouse again apparently. Like it has been awhile since I have been grilled about a coin purchase, the last serious time was when I bought the 1799 $1, B-10, BB-163, a Rarity 2 die marriage, which for only a few months was the most expensive coin purchase, and that was back in 2006. I had decent purchases all last year, Stacks, B&M, Heritage etc. But the purchase from back in April is what got me woken up at 2am from a sound sleep in an Amsterdam hotel.

"I am not mad, but how could you spend that much money on one coin?"

"Do you love it as much as me?"

I know it is getting better for me when this comes...

"I am going on a shopping spree and spending that much"

The thing that sent this purchase over the edge, well, was that it was my first five figure purchase.

I am still in the doghouse until she goes shopping with my four daughters. Then maybe I can come back in the house again. Damned dog needs a bath too, he stinks.

BTW the coin was non-USA this time, all my USA stuff is sort of up for sale, not a lot of interest on my part, and my lovely wife and daughters would love the dosh for their NYC shopping junket next month.

My wife and I have a "don't ask, don't tell" understanding. She also maintains a list of my trusted dealers to call if something happens to me. Fortunately, she has to ask me to refresh that list from time-to-time, so I still retain a place of some value in the family. As long as collecting keeps me happy and I keep a roof over our head and food on the table, she is happy with my collecting. Her brother-in-law collects cars and boats. My coins take up much less space. Now my books, that is often a source of tension over space and they don't cost quite near as much as my coins (well, there are exceptions to every rule).

Oh yeah, she has a soft spot for collecting state quarters from circulation and I feed that with silver proof sets. She likes the coins as well, although she exhibits far more common sense in limiting the extent of her interest.

My wife and I have a "don't ask, don't tell" understanding. She also maintains a list of my trusted dealers to call if something happens to me. Fortunately, she has to ask me to refresh that list from time-to-time, so I still retain a place of some value in the family. As long as collecting keeps me happy and I keep a roof over our head and food on the table, she is happy with my collecting. Her brother-in-law collects cars and boats. My coins take up much less space. Now my books, that is often a source of tension over space and they don't cost quite near as much as my coins (well, there are exceptions to every rule).

Oh yeah, she has a soft spot for collecting state quarters from circulation and I feed that with silver proof sets. She likes the coins as well, although she exhibits far more common sense in limiting the extent of her interest.

Bahahaha! :ninja:

Damned dog needs a bath too, he stinks.

Because I am the only one who will actually wash the dog when he stinks.

And because rare coins take up less space than rare guitars.

The dog never gets mad when I buy a coin... :ninja:

To be honest if you asked that same question on a stamp forum, gun forum, knife forum and on and on you would probably get similar answers. If fact there are forums for each individual type of car and many collect them and if asked this question, same answers but different people, maybe. As a general rule people are collectors and hoarders of anything and everything. Take Jay Leno for example with his hundreds of cars. People just feel insecure so they want something solid to hang on to. It starts with that little security blanket as a baby and we just don't grow up.

Meanwhile, back to counting my coins.

It's an interesting question. For me there are many reasons. I like coins because of the history and also because of their beauty. I also have some sort of compulsion about making sets and completing them. I really love filling those holes in my albums and folders. I'm not really a competitive person so that aspect doesn't do much for me. Having the very best of a particular coin is of no interest to me. Having a beautiful example that is well struck and clearly displays the entire design is. Some of my favorites are my Indian Head and Large Cents. They're well worn and that's where the history comes in. Who owned them? What did they do with them? What did they buy? How's they earn them? Who may have had the particular coin in their collection, etc.

What's wrong with various string? ;)

Yes so exactly what is wrong with a string collection anyway. Your not looking at this as the string collector does that's for sure. Why are you aware of the many different sizes or string? The many different materials used to make string? All the different colors of string? Now if you look closely at some string you would notice it is made up of smaller pieces. These are tristed in different amounts and a string collector would be after a variety of different twists. :ninja:;)

Why any one could collect coins, write books about coins, trade, buy and sell coins but how many do you know involved in string? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I collect for the simple joy of my reaction when I receive a coin that I truly need for my collection. I prefer toswap for those I need but will buy if the price is right. At my age of 77, finances are limited and so my need to try to swap. I know that these collections of mine will probably be sold by my spouse to obtain funds since she is not a collector. However, I will probably put into my will that these will go to my grandson, who just recently got married, as he is a collector and I know he will cherish these as I do.

I do it for the chicks...Oh wait that was flying :ninja:

It relaxes me and allows me to zone out for a short time. I also enjoy the historical aspect of many of the coins. I did a minor in history for my first degree and even wrote some numismatic history in to one "mini" thesis. It makes it an overall fun hobby, and when people ask me if I collect anything I can honestly say "money".

Ciao,

AWACS

I collect because of the thrill of the hunt. I love looking long and hard for a nice coin.

Thats the part of collecting I hate. I just want what I want and I dont like hunting for it....the hunt is a big waste of my time and I would prefer they all be easily found when I have the money to buy it.

I collect because I find little shiny pieces of metal irresistable.

i hate the hunting, i do love the thrill of a quick bargain, or the excitement of wondering what is lurking in that bulk buy

(got an EF 1939 southern rhodesia 6d, 200,000 mintage piece,http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view.aspx?id=968763, probably worth 3x the price of the whole purchase.. and postage for 600grams of coins aint cheap!! lol)

or the thrill of buying something to research (my chinese cash)

or just buying a cheap piece of history

and those wonderful pieces you find on the cheap that are way out your budget normally (have 2 or 3 of those...)

I do it so I can be awoken at 2AM in an Amsterdam hotel by a phone call from my lovely wife wondering why my Stack's invoice was well over five figures for an April auction. She said she was not mad, just wondered why, what I needed that much.

At least when I am in Ukraine I am fairly safe from large sized purchases, there is not much to buy here and if I bought stuff in the USA they will not ship it here in the first place. So I am limited to purchases in banks and at a coin fair here in Donets'k.

Archived