CoinPeople.com

My "unwanted" collection

DreamFLight911

since the start of june i was given some idea on who would like to take my collection off of me with no luck. our newspaper has a help person that has a column for the paper. i sent him what i had and got responses on who would like to give to. with no luck there are 3 dealers in the area and they didnt want them :ninja: na d was also given 2 different locations a bank and a travel agentcy that would convert it to dollars. the travel place stopped the procees 2 years ago and the bank has a cap of converting 1 country has to a certain ammountto exchange but the collectioni is alil of each nation.

my last hope is a coin show this weekend. i do not what to do after that. i have tried an auction site it when unsold

I know many young banknote collectors who would love to get some world banknotes. So if it comes down needing to get rid of them. I will pay for the postage for you to ship them to me. I will give them to any YN who wants some and can also hold contests.

Man it seems that you are going to have to do some legwork if you want to sell your hoard for a decent price. That includes scanning every, and classifying them and then posting them on the web (e-bay or some other)! No pain, no gain!

Otherwise its the discount wholesale price that you have been offered before...

• 2 weeks later...
Man it seems that you are going to have to do some legwork if you want to sell your hoard for a decent price. That includes scanning every, and classifying them and then posting them on the web (e-bay or some other)! No pain, no gain!

Otherwise its the discount wholesale price that you have been offered before...

It's unfortunate but true. I give more non-US currency away than I sell. Even when it is worth something in exchange rates, I can never get that amount for it. I have thousands of notes as well Dreamflight and honestly you will never get what the catalog prices say, it's best to just try and recoup the price you paid instead of trying to make a buck.

World currency is normally left to the hoarders (as in you and I) or the young collecters looking for something cheap.

(an example is my Zambian currency. I have several UNC packs of 100 notes worth over $200 in the catalog and I paid less than $30 per pack and they would sell to a dealer for $0.25 a note if I'm lucky.)

:ninja:

Hahaha Don't I know it! I've received your prizes before!

You just wait until you get this years prize. Lol!

You give a way more world money then you sell?!

Well in that case dear chum, pal, buddy, amigo ,...can I call you friend?...

:ninja:;)

Mainly in contests, which my last one just ended. I may hold one later in the year though, who knows. ;)

World currency is normally left to the hoarders (as in you and I) or the young collecters looking for something cheap.

Kind of a broad statement? If by "world currency" you mean "new foreign currency issues bought from the bank" then I can agree this is hoarder's material, though this would be similar to folks hoarding packs of new US$ from the bank, new postage stamps bought at the Post Office, etc. Very unlikely that current notes, printed in the millions, will yield any numismatic value, outside of regular exchange rates. True, many foreign currencies are devalued often, so even getting your return on the investment is questionable in those countries.

But for actual collectible notes with numismatic/rarity value, I'm curious if you feel foreign is still second class to US? It may be, I sure see a ton of US collectors as compared to foreign, but perhaps that's because this is an English-speaking forum?

Dave

The OP seems to be calling for attention here, I have watched this thread continue on, but have never seen anything resembling a listing of the notes alleged to have been offered for sale. Not that I believe the OP doesn't have the notes, indeed, I believe he does. I just am not confident he is really as interested or serious about selling them as he would lead one or more to believe.

Kind of a broad statement? If by "world currency" you mean "new foreign currency issues bought from the bank" then I can agree this is hoarder's material, though this would be similar to folks hoarding packs of new US$ from the bank, new postage stamps bought at the Post Office, etc. Very unlikely that current notes, printed in the millions, will yield any numismatic value, outside of regular exchange rates. True, many foreign currencies are devalued often, so even getting your return on the investment is questionable in those countries.

But for actual collectible notes with numismatic/rarity value, I'm curious if you feel foreign is still second class to US? It may be, I sure see a ton of US collectors as compared to foreign, but perhaps that's because this is an English-speaking forum?

Dave

When I refer to world currency I include all negligible currencies from the US (we are part of the world too) and otherwise. And I by no means at all mean new currencies, not even close. I have hundreds of notes ranging from the around 1890 to the 1950's with a value of less than a dollar.

I am not claiming superiority for US currencies; though I do feel they are the most stable of numismatic investments when it comes to currency. On that same note, language has nothing to do with it, we have plenty of CP'ers from all over the world. In fact I feel that most of the currency collectors on here collect non-US issues because they are normally much more artistically interesting and most are affordable compared to US currencies that are of the same artistic merit.

When I refer to world currency I include all negligible currencies from the US (we are part of the world too) and otherwise. And I by no means at all mean new currencies, not even close. I have hundreds of notes ranging from the around 1890 to the 1950's with a value of less than a dollar.

I am not claiming superiority for US currencies; though I do feel they are the most stable of numismatic investments when it comes to currency. On that same note, language has nothing to do with it, we have plenty of CP'ers from all over the world. In fact I feel that most of the currency collectors on here collect non-US issues because they are normally much more artistically interesting and most are affordable compared to US currencies that are of the same artistic merit.

Interesting - you're certainly using the term "world currency" a different way than I imagined. Thanks for the clarification.

Dave

The OP seems to be calling for attention here, I have watched this thread continue on, but have never seen anything resembling a listing of the notes alleged to have been offered for sale. Not that I believe the OP doesn't have the notes, indeed, I believe he does. I just am not confident he is really as interested or serious about selling them as he would lead one or more to believe.

The OP has been doing this for a while. Several months ago he said his parents were forcing him to give away/sell his collection IMMEDIATELY. We had a thread or two debating whether or not that was logical and/or true. Seems like several months have passed and he still has the bulk of his collection.

I hate saying this, but I'm starting to think if DF911 is trying to dupe us. I really do hate saying that but that's the ffeeling I've gotten over the last year.

The OP has been doing this for a while. Several months ago he said his parents were forcing him to give away/sell his collection IMMEDIATELY. We had a thread or two debating whether or not that was logical and/or true. Seems like several months have passed and he still has the bulk of his collection.

I hate saying this, but I'm starting to think if DF911 is trying to dupe us. I really do hate saying that but that's the ffeeling I've gotten over the last year.

Me too. I think we are on to something. I have no doubts that he has this collection, but that it is a crutch for attention. Perhaps sympathies for underlying indeterminate issues are in order.

Archived