CoinPeople.com

Gilt Covent Garden Halfpenny 1795

Interesting gilt Halfpenny which commemorates St. Paul's of Covent Garden, London which was destroyed by fire on Sept. 17th, 1795.

In 1795 there was a disastrous fire at the church, when the roof, painted ceiling, and parts of the walls were destroyed - caused by plumbers doing some trifling work in the bell-tower and leaving their fire unguarded during their mid-day break. The parish records were fortunately saved, as was the pulpit which had been the work of Grinling Gibbons - or one of his pupils.

Plans were made quickly for the re-building, but many people, including Horace Walpole, thought the original had been too plain and any rebuilding should be more decorative. Nevertheless, Thomas Hardwick preserved Inigo Jones' original simple conception, and reproduced it faithfully.

http://www.coventgardenlife.com/sightseein...auls_church.htm

2n835hs.jpg

2rh8kgj.jpg

Haha.. you like your conders don't you Mr. Constanius?.. you would have loved it's 'punchy' estimate too :ninja:

I still have loads of conders to post (had them for a few years), just switched to collecting mainly historical medals, but as you said I do like them conders. Just cannot afford both, shame.

Nice token. If I'm recalling correctly the area is now "restored" and contains a number of very nice small shops.

Gah, you guys don't say much! I was expecting more.. :'(

The token speaks for itself. What more can we add (except maybe gimme one)?

Gah, you guys don't say much! I was expecting more.. :'(

We too.

Okay, you get a second thumb-bunny if you show me a combined photo of both sides on a black or white background with more contrast and some details (description, size, weight, reference, ...).

Archived