CoinPeople.com

Has the bay finally gone down?

NumisMattic2200

That's topical, but what do you think about the way it's driven away a lot of good sellers as well as small-time sellers of job lots out of family lofts that you were once able to win at bargain prices, any thoughts?? :>/

Can you elaborate as to how they drove them away? I am only a buyer not a seller so I am not sure what they did to drive small-time sellers away? I have quite a few small time sellers on my favorites list (mostly get better prices from them) and they are all still there.

That's topical, but what do you think about the way it's driven away a lot of good sellers as well as small-time sellers of job lots out of family lofts that you were once able to win at bargain prices, any thoughts?? :>/

Well, eBay was a good idea when it was created, but I think that Meg Whitman’s management team didn’t really understand eBay’s business model. I don’t believe there were any improvements to the site’s dynamics. It just got big and cluttered, and they just kept coming up with new fees for everything.

The recent changes, which (I guess) came from eBay’s new management, make sense to me. And I believe there’s still a lot of room for improvement. I’m cautiously optimistic for the moment.

I'm a big fan of ebay. (Ducking to avoid tomatoes). I believe there are a lot of good and honest sellers and buyers on the venue. The only point I wanted to make right now was that a lot of the increased shipping costs come to us courtesy of the USPO. They recently raised rates and some catagories of shipping were hit much harder than others. International Priority mail took a big cost jump.

I still like eBay but the rash of counterfeit Chinese coins currently flooding the market has me bidding less and less.

It's still a good place to find coins listed wrong.

Last night I discovered a 1686 Netherlands 30 Stuivers listed in the medals section as "ESTATE OLD COIN or MEDAL LION & CREST DATED 1686".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=220428842872

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/ada...nt=MVC-002S.jpg

I bid $30 with six hours to go and hoped for the best. It ended at $137.50, still a good price for a coin worth $250+++

Ebay in 1999 was a place for collectors and I found and bought all kinds of amazing coins.

Back then the fees were low enough that you could sell what you didn't want without giving up half of your profits.

Ebay in 2009 is different but if you are careful (and lucky) it's still a good place to find nice coins.

JUST BE CAREFUL!

• 1 month later...

A marketplace only works when there are good buyers and there are good sellers.

I haven't actively looked on ebay for about 2-3 years now. Most of what I collect is only available as overpriced low grade stuff, or as fakes.

Well now I've just been negatived because the item I posted took as long as 10 days to arrive. And I have a health condition which sometimes makes it hard for me to get through the HUGE pile of work I often give myself. It took 10 days!!

Ebay's feedback system is FUBAR.

Needless to say, Mr. "Woodlandofficer" is banned for life.

Well now I've just been negatived because the item I posted took as long as 10 days to arrive. And I have a health condition which sometimes makes it hard for me to get through the HUGE pile of work I often give myself. It took 10 days!!

Ebay's feedback system is FUBAR.

Needless to say, Mr. "Woodlandofficer" is banned for life.

I thought you Brits were suffering postal disruptions as part of the contract dispute between management & the union. Mr. "Woodlandofficer" is obviously a very impatient & very negative type of person. 10 days is such a short time, let us hope any of his future purchases from Ebay take at least 2 months!

Hahah..yes, at least!! ;)

I didn't know about any postal disruption though I was unwell all last week as the workload occasionally gets too much for me to cope with as I have suffered with chronic fatigue syndrome since I was 13. I got back into it today and posted about 24 packages that had built up. There'll be another load tomorrow - woe is me :ninja:

Back to my impatient - there are too many of them and some of them become threatening if you don't give them a tracking number after a couple of days if their item doesn't arrive exactly on schedule -they threaten you with a negative and/or cancelling the transaction (which is not too bad for me, I could always sell the item for a good price, it's just a real shame...)

Looking on the bright side, I got another haul of coins from an auction house delivered - yipee!.. and there's some nice ones in there...

Archived