CoinPeople.com

LVDOVICVS MAGNVS Twins

When i got these medals in one lot i thought they should be quite frequent:

tok075.jpg

(27 mm / 4,31 g)

tok081.jpg

(27 mm / 4,83 g)

Obv.: LVDOVICVS - MAGNVS. REX. , his head facing right.

Rev.: LATE. CVNCTA. FROFVNDIT. , (It dispenses any thing with largesse - Elle dispense de toute chose avec largesse) , Aurora / Sol, holding up the light in left and drapery in right hand, in galloping biga right; beneath, couds and the earth; in exergue, two palm branches crossed - L'Aurore tenant de la main gauche un flambeau étincelant, de la gauche une draperie, dans un bige au galop à droite. Au-dessus, des nuages.

(looks like double die matches)

But so far i only found similar medals of later kings (eg. Louis XV). (Or simply a case of "severe coinoholism and total search blackout" ?)

Looks like a better-style French issue and not like one of the Nuremberg token series?

I thought the thread was for "Luscious twins". Whoops!

Great medal, Arm. Thanks for sharing. Curious color/toning. Is it supposed to be silver or is it a different metal?

They are actually quite common. Issued first under Louis XIV as a stock jeton (a jeton to make up the numbers if others in a particular series ran out), the design was even more popular under Louis XV, which sees the design being issued using various different busts of Louis XV ranging from infant through to mature. They were typically minted in silver, the copper / brass ones being even more common. I'm sure that I posted half a dozen or so of these in silver a few months back. Will have a look when i get the chance.

Great medal, Arm. Thanks for sharing. Curious color/toning. Is it supposed to be silver or is it a different metal?

The material of both specimens is brass.

The first one had been cleaned with some hard brush down to the metal and the coated with resin or varnish.

The second one had been stripped and in is meanwhile dark repatinated.

A world better! What method did you use?

1 A few seconds in a sulfur containing solution (used for industrial bronze darkening).

2 Rinsing with water.

3 After that cleaning to the expected surface colour.

Archived