CoinPeople.com

Some new stuff

Ætheling

Went to the York Coin Fair (England) and i picked up a few things;

Henry VI 1422 English silver groat. (Annulet issue) for my Henry VI annulet issue denomination set.

901067.jpg

Louis XV 1731 French silver 1/10 ecu (seemingly not listed in Krause) 1731/0? D mint (with D over indeterminate mint mark).

901068.jpg

and i also picked up three dateless SLQs (including a very polished one!) and two junk grade Barber Dimes both 1912... always nice to buy something out of a junk box. I've been trading out bits and bats of silver lately so i thought it was time i topped it back up again. Always nice to have some coins to throw around and mess about it with, stack, flip, throw, build coin bridges out of, you know the usual stuff. :ninja:

Still awaiting another three coins due in the post.

Nice purchases. I guess the coin fair was a success. Do they have a lot of Indian Head Cents and US Large Cents? Maybe I have to go to one of these fairs?

US coins were very thin on the ground today.

The most US coins i saw were 19th century $2.5, $5 and $10 coins. I seriously though about picking up a gold eagle but my judgement thought better of it since i'm supposed to be doing my sets not buying random coins so i gave it a miss.

Of the silver there was 1 walker, a few Washers and a few mercs and some Barber stuff, all of which was thrown into junk boxes being low grade.

The only mid+ grade US silver i saw were two Peace Dollars. Not one Morgan in sight anywhere. Which is unusual.

As for copper i saw one 1834 large cent thrown in a junk box being sold for £1, i thought about buying it having just looked at the Redbook perhaps i should have. That one was a bargin. It was probably about VG but it did have an edge knock. The dealers selling these were Americans. (The ones who i'd bought the Nazi Germany stuff off back in January) nice to see them turn up again.

Wish you had had a shot at my Henry VI Groat. It was a very nice piece that sold for a pittance.

But someday soon you may have a shot at some very very nice Scottish, including one that is one of 4 known, and another that is one of the nicest known.

It has to be said that in the UK the only US coins readily available that you don't have to pay twice or three times book value for are gold coins.

We are practically flooded out with US gold. I saw a nice $10 Indian... i'm so gonna have to get one of those one day it's on my to get list. However it was going for about £315 and i only had £170.

Wish you had had a shot at my Henry VI Groat.  It was a very nice piece that sold for a pittance.

Yes but was it an annulet issue? I'm only doing the annulet issue, i've passed up upon many a nice rose and mascle or pinecone issue because i'm trying to put together a 'date' set. This is my version of doing an 1887 Jubilee head denomination date set, i'm doing a 1422-7 denomination set.

I'll keep an eye out for the Scottish one but no doubt it'll turn up when i have no money, which is what usually happens. :ninja:

I'll keep an eye out for the Scottish one but no doubt it'll turn up when i have no money, which is what usually happens.  ;)

You must keep some pounds in your Silver Jar for occasions... :ninja:

Yes but was it an annulet issue? I'm only doing the annulet issue, i've passed up upon many a nice rose and mascle or pinecone issue because i'm trying to put together a 'date' set. This is my version of doing an 1887 Jubilee head denomination date set, i'm doing a 1422-7 denomination set.

I'll keep an eye out for the Scottish one but no doubt it'll turn up when i have no money, which is what usually happens.  :ninja:

Indeed it was. Calais no less.

You must keep some pounds in your Silver Jar for occasions... :ninja:

Well that's nearly full.

I can't afford any silver pounds. ;) Not that i'd be that keen to throw a 17th century massive silver coin in there.

Although it'd be nice to aquire some sovereigns or something, not so much for investment purposes but for tieing money up purposes so i can't spend it as easily. ;)

Indeed it was.  Calais no less.

They're practically all Calais, London would have been preferrable but the onl;y London ones i saw were not very nice, mostly lower grades. But since my interest in French coins has peaked i'm not all that bothered about it being a Calais mint one. Generally with sets though i like the mints to match.

Great coins :ninja:

I especially like the Henry VI ;)

Archived