CoinPeople.com

Type Sets

Art

Saturday May 23,2009

I like type sets. They can be structured in many different ways. They can span all of the series issued during a specific period of time or all of the coin types within a denomination such as Lincoln Cents. It's even possible to do a type set of Indian Head Cents. You've got 1859 the only year with the wreaths but no shield on the reverse. Then there's 1860-1864 Copper Nickel and the 1864-1909 Bronze compositions. You might even throw in the 1864-L and a 1908-1909S if you're so inclined. You can make a set as simple or as complex as you desire.

Quite some time ago I got an album from Littleton for a 20th Century Type Set. It's a pretty simple set with only four cents, an Indian Head, a Wheatie, a steel Wheatie, and a Memorial. Statehood quarters are treated as one type. I have a Georgia quarter in my slot. Six slots for halfs - I know that sounds like a lot but they gave the Kennedy three of those slots - Silver, Clad, and Bicentennial. There's even a slot for a Silver Eagle. I completed this set and I really like it but I wanted something to take me back further in time.

The Dansco 7070 is a much tougher set. It's become a pseudo-standard for a 19th/20th Century Type Set. NGC has several Type Sets in their Registry program modeled after the 7070. They're labelled "Basic US Type Set, No Gold (7070)" and "Basic US Type Set, with Gold (7070 + page 5)". Basic they call these sets. Well I've been 7070'ing for quite some time and I'm missing probably as much as I have. No Draped Bust Half or Large Cent. No Half Dimes or Shield Nickels. No Capped Bust or Liberty Seated Dimes. You can get the picture. Lots of empy spaces and that's not even considering things like 20 cent pieces and early Halfs and Dollars. I do have the Gold Page. That famous "+ page 5" as NGC says. Mine is just the way it came out of the wrapper. More detailed Type Sets can cover the US from 1790s to 2009. They can have hundreds of entries.

So what do you think about Type Sets? What kind of Type Sets do you have? What Type Sets would you like to define and build ?

I like the type set idea myself. Having a range of coins like that would be a accomplishment. I have worked on and off on a year type set for 1876 but have a long ways to go. Just that actually covers several of the coins in a type set. Indian penny, nickel 3 cent, shield nickel, seated dime, 20 cent piece, seated quarter, seated half, trade dollar, Indian princess $1, Liberty head $2.5, If you could handle it a 1876 $3 Indian princess proof, Liberty head $5, Liberty head $10, and Liberty head $20.

I like the type set idea myself. Having a range of coins like that would be a accomplishment. I have worked on and off on a year type set for 1876 but have a long ways to go. Just that actually covers several of the coins in a type set. Indian penny, nickel 3 cent, shield nickel, seated dime, 20 cent piece, seated quarter, seated half, trade dollar, Indian princess $1, Liberty head $2.5, If you could handle it a 1876 $3 Indian princess proof, Liberty head $5, Liberty head $10, and Liberty head $20.

That would be quite a set. Why did you pick 1876? Is it special in your family's history?

My US type set will include (ideally) every coin minted starting 1796 for circulation in the US; and when I say every coin I mean every "significant" design (meaning no "spiked chins" or "sharp lettering" or whatever) and varying compositions. Including gold.

It's ambitious but I'm a young'un and think I can do it by some point.

That would be quite a set. Why did you pick 1876? Is it special in your family's history?

The 1876 Centennial as opposed to 1976 bicentennial. Don't have any of the gold there. Even have 1826 a cent and half dollar. That one is a short year half cent, cent, half, $2.5, $5. That one I will just stick with non=gold there. Really most likely same on the 1876 set or it may just take a long time. I just have a few to finish both that way. As of right now I have too many irons in the fire. Just even trying to complete a morgan set.

if you are collecting something, surly its a type set when you are done..

i have set myself a goal of at least 1 type of coin from every monarch in the UK...

a type set for british coins by demonination would be near impossible... ty 1860 lol

I've got a good type set.

I use the NGC Registry (US Type Set 1792-1964) for determining what my set will contain, plus one more that they don't have but is listed in the Red Book.

At this time I'm solid from about 1810 to 1964 except for one SL Dime that I hope to get at The Baltimore show June 12.

I've only got one coin from the 1790's (1798 Cent, 2nd Hair).

I'm going to get a Half Cent at the Baltimore show.

The current criterium for my type set is XF or better, but I do have three VF's in the set (cost considerations).

The Half Cent will also probably be a VF.

I'm a fan of the type set, I prefer to use significant time periods in US history to design them as well. Mainly wars...so war of 1812 to Desert Shield, and depending is they will separate it or not, the Afghanistan conflict.

I don't include gold because I am kinda broke most of the time, but I do include commemorative issues like the early state half dollars, SAE's, or modern commens from the Redbook listing.

I attempt to get the coins in the best possible grades I can afford, but I also don't mind getting the occasional Ag-3 filler. :ninja:

i'm working on a wheat cent set it seems.. got full set of steel (one isn't upladed to omni because i forgot to take a picture of the reverse...), still got a good portion of the pre 1940's to go but getting there, whole lot i have (bar one steel as i said) is up on my omni if you guys want to see how far its come.

I'm a fan of the type set, I prefer to use significant time periods in US history to design them as well. Mainly wars...so war of 1812 to Desert Shield, and depending is they will separate it or not, the Afghanistan conflict.

I don't include gold because I am kinda broke most of the time, but I do include commemorative issues like the early state half dollars, SAE's, or modern commens from the Redbook listing.

I attempt to get the coins in the best possible grades I can afford, but I also don't mind getting the occasional Ag-3 filler. :ninja:

An interesting idea. I'd never thought of that way of defining a set.

I've only recently (last year or two) started adding to my type set. My original type set was the typical 20th century beginner one. I've pretty much focused only on series collecting since then. But thanks to everyone here at CP, I have recently acquired type coins. I figure collectors are expected to have certain coins in their collection. Someone who has been collecting as long, as focused, and as passionately as I have (I'd say I'm an intermediate), should have seated coinage, bust coinage, and maybe an 18th C copper.

Does that make sense? Your "skill" level as a collector should define which type coins you have. Thus, someone who focuses on the best Morgans is expected to have maybe an UNC Bust Half or two.

I've only recently (last year or two) started adding to my type set. My original type set was the typical 20th century beginner one. I've pretty much focused only on series collecting since then. But thanks to everyone here at CP, I have recently acquired type coins. I figure collectors are expected to have certain coins in their collection. Someone who has been collecting as long, as focused, and as passionately as I have (I'd say I'm an intermediate), should have seated coinage, bust coinage, and maybe an 18th C copper.

Does that make sense? Your "skill" level as a collector should define which type coins you have. Thus, someone who focuses on the best Morgans is expected to have maybe an UNC Bust Half or two.

Type set by level of elitism? :ninja:

Type set by level of elitism? :ninja:

If the concept was that simple, I would have just said that!

umm.. beginner collectors aren't prohibited from collecting chain cents but i would EXPECT more established collections to have one.

You know thinking about it I have another "type" set. Store tokens from different cities in Texas. I really think I've had more fun with them trying to find out about the people behind them. Types are what you make of them.

As to chain cents how about a fugio or a wreath cent maybe how about a feuchtwanger? Thing is you would have a hard time saying something like that. Think about maybe everyone should have a colonial? A Vermont or Connecticut? It all ends up what ever blows your skirt up.

I haven't posted in WAAAAAAY too long (been a little busy, new job, new house, getting married... too much stuff to get in the way of my coinage!) but a type set thread will always draw me back in :ninja:

When I started collecting I started shooting for whole series' but I may not have the attention span needed for that sort of undertaking. I ended up with several partially completed sets. Sometimes I would get bored with a run, sometimes I'd just be frustrated when I got to some of the key dates that were out of my price range. But I've found type sets to really keep my attention and interest. I think one of the big pluses for me is that there is so much to learn about all the different coins in a type set. I've never been drawn into researching VAMs and the like - I'd rather learn a little less about a larger variety of coins (though I applaud those whose tastes differ from mine in this regard - I enjoy your posts and you certainly enrich the hobby).

That said, my two favorite type sets are as follows:

The classic, the 7070. There is just so much great history there. I really enjoy the fact that in just a few pages you can flip through and see the tastes and styles of our nation change before your eyes.

A United Nations set. This is a fun and educational introduction to (modern) world coinage. The goal is to get one coin from each country in the UN, from the year it was admitted to the UN. That's 192 different countries you get to research and learn a little bit about. Not all of them issued coins during the year they were admitted (for many it was a year of war / civil war) and some only issue over priced collector proofs - but on the whole it's a fun type to collect. If they didn't issue on their year of admittance, I shoot for the first issue after their admittance.

I love to hear about the type sets others collect though. Keep sharing!

A United Nations set. This is a fun and educational introduction to (modern) world coinage. The goal is to get one coin from each country in the UN, from the year it was admitted to the UN. That's 192 different countries you get to research and learn a little bit about. Not all of them issued coins during the year they were admitted (for many it was a year of war / civil war) and some only issue over priced collector proofs - but on the whole it's a fun type to collect. If they didn't issue on their year of admittance, I shoot for the first issue after their admittance.

Sounds interesting! How are you coming on that?

Archived